PDA

View Full Version : New owner...hello!

Cab325i/540i
08-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi folks. I am an E30 owner/driver, and just bought a 95 540i for my wife. Our old car had a little accident, and we're replacing it instead of repairing it. I actually have to fly out of town to pick up the car and drive it home, but I'm buying it from a very good source, and got a great deal.

It has about 59k on the Alusil block, 106k on the chassis. The P.O. has put a lot of work in it over the last few years, and it is very solid and clean. What should I be looking out for as I get to know this car? I'm bummed that the car is an automatic, but we'll either deal with it, sell it, or swap it. Can the 6-speeds be swapped in without weeks' worth of work? I wouldn't do that for a long time, but I'm just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks a lot, and I can't wait to go get this car in a few days!

Bruno
08-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the board and ... good luck with the 540i.
Make sure that the bolts on the oil pump are tight and that the engine mounts and transmission mounts are in good condition.

6 speed transmission are very hard to find and will cost you tons of cash.

Swapping transmission isn't cheap and usually isn't worth the trouble except if it is a rare car.

Mr. BILL
08-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the forum! Check out Bruno's site www.BMWE34.net and click on "what will go wrong" General weak points are: cooling system and front suspension (thrust arms). The '95's had most of the bugs worked out as this was the last year of E34 production. You've already had the BIG ONE taken care of, the engine block.

A 540 is a beast, I doubt you'll miss the manual.

Cab325i/540i
08-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum! Check out Bruno's site www.BMWE34.net and click on "what will go wrong" General weak points are: cooling system and front suspension (thrust arms). The '95's had most of the bugs worked out as this was the last year of E34 production. You've already had the BIG ONE taken care of, the engine block.

A 540 is a beast, I doubt you'll miss the manual.

Thanks. I got to this forum through E34.net, but I didn't know who Bruno was. I've checked it out a bit and I'm sure I will do so more in the future.

I know I won't miss the manual, because my E30 (my daily driver/autoX/track car) has a five speed. My wife is worried that she'll miss the manual, though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on those areas, although I know the sellers of this car have done a lot of work on the suspension (K-Mac camber/caster plates, new arms, etc.) and replaced all the bushings and such recently.

Cab325i/540i
08-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the board and ... good luck with the 540i.
Make sure that the bolts on the oil pump are tight and that the engine mounts and transmission mounts are in good condition.

6 speed transmission are very hard to find and will cost you tons of cash.

Swapping transmission isn't cheap and usually isn't worth the trouble except if it is a rare car.

Thanks, Bruno. I guess E34.net is your site? I've checked that out some, and I'll do more of that. Good stuff!

I'll keep an eye on those parts. I do most (all, so far) of the work on my E30, and I've helped my brother-in-law do a few things on his 91 M5. I'm hoping that the 540i won't be too tremendously hard to work on. At least it's pre-OBDII. Anyway, I'm sure I will have fun with this car, like I said, I just wish it was a 6-speed. If a wrecked 540i with a manual drops out of the sky, maybe I'll think about salvaging those parts, but for the meantime the autobox will suffice.

Thanks again!