PDA

View Full Version : really puzzled !

djr
08-26-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi All,
This is my first post. I am the proud owner of a 95' 525i, and really enjoy it. It is a German spec car, and have had really nothing much to complain about - except for a strange wobble, at between 100 - 110 kmph, which seems to travel not just up to the stearing wheel, but to the whole body, especially the front seats.

The "shake" goes away after a 130 kmph or so !

I have over the past 2 years tried all sorts of fixes, from simple wheel balancing...to changing of the rims and tyres, front control arm, everything from the book. The guy who fixes my car has been working on BMW for the past 20 years but can't figure it out.(maybe need to find a new mech)

I am in the process of having the front shocks replaced to see if it will resolve the problem...which im sure is the right thing to do. Any advise would really be a great help.

Doug

George M
08-26-2004, 08:07 AM
yeah...you do need a new mech. No puzzlement here. What you describe is one of the most common maladies for these cars. Leading contributor to your condition is upper thrust arm bushings. Likely that the thrust arm ball joints may be contributing as well.
The archive on this board is replete with info on this subject. All suspension components collectively contribute to your condition as well though not to the same degree...so not just the thrust arms.
Enjoy your new car...these are very special cars and welcome to the board.

Mr. BILL
08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Ditto and welcome!

djr
08-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks - Guys for the advice and welcome note