PDA

View Full Version : 99 528i

nuwde
08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
hey guys, anyone know a good forum for the 99 528i? is there one better than this? :)

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 11:13 PM
uhhh...no?

nuwde
08-26-2004, 12:36 AM
uhhh...no?

haha ok...how about a good diy site?

George M
08-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Roadfly is your best resource. Be mindful that as a general rule, new BMW message boards as frought with uninformed newbies that will prattle on about cup holders and curb feelers ;-) and not offer much assistance. As the E-39 ages however this will change by necessity...owners will dig in and have to learn about their cars or pay the man for repairs. You would do quite well by posting your issue here and most gearheads on this board including self are accepting of most BMW related issues and inclined to help. A good idea however is to bounce your ideas off of Roadfly's E-39 list as well. The way car failures work is isolated failures are unto themselves a statistical anomaly, not the exception....what most believe...so likely you have a lot of company in whatever issue you may experience.
Good Luck....most of us will buy an E-39 at some point :-)...as the alternatives are becoming quite limited.

Dick Schneiders
08-26-2004, 08:35 AM
not here. This would mean that some point after that most of us would then buy an E-60, and I hate the way they look. :-)

Have you seen the recent BMW ad with the tow truck on the side of the road with flashers on and a car behind it, also with flashers on? Cute ad, as you hear somebody say "it just died on me. I could use a lift". Turns out the tow truck is the vehicle that died. However, the first time I saw the ad I didn't recognize the car as being a BMW. I really thought that it was a Pontiac!! Even now, knowing that it is a BMW, every time I see the ad I just sigh becuse the car still looks like a Pontiac to me.

I can't envision me ever wanting to buy one of the current 5-series cars. Of course, I will probably die before I could afford one, so it is a moot point. My wife likes the new 6-series, though. I suppose I will just keep buying the best E-34's I can find.

Dick Schneiders

Good Luck....most of us will buy an E-39 at some point :-)...as the alternatives are becoming quite limited.

George M
08-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Hear ya bro. I personally think the E-39 including the E-46 was one of the last decent efforts from BMW so we are on the same page. A nice 528i 5 speed with sport and winter package...maybe black over parchment...would suit me just fine...not a fire breather as with the 540 but pretty good on gas and keep me from getting too many tickets :-) Know what you mean about just finding more E-34's...they are hard to beat as an overall package. I saw a new 6 series out on the road..some like it...I just don't think it is good...better than the new 5 and 7 but not what it could have been.
As to Pontiac...under Lutz's reign...the new Grand Am replacement looks much better than the new 5 series...lol.

winfred
08-26-2004, 08:59 AM
maybe the e60's replacment's replacment will be so revolting the e60 will be looking good by then :(

not here. This would mean that some point after that most of us would then buy an E-60, and I hate the way they look.

George M
08-26-2004, 09:20 AM
what would be great to see Winfred is...take a car styling genius like Chip Foose to take an E-60 and rework it to look right....that would be some car.
Maybe we should get a BMW petition together and send it to the cable station responsible for producing "Overhaulin"....hehe.

winfred
08-26-2004, 09:24 AM
i am of the opinion you can't polish a turd, i admit to not driving one yet but i like the outside a lot more then the interior, but then i feel the same way about the e39 (e38/39 seats are nice) if chip can turn a deathstar caddy into the surfer wagon for hotwheels who knows

what would be great to see Winfred is...take a car styling genius like Chip Foose to take an E-60 and rework it to look right....that would be some car.
Maybe we should get a BMW petition together and send it to the cable station responsible for producing "Overhaulin"....hehe.

Mr. BILL
08-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Yep, roadfly's E39 forum is pretty good. It's got a lot of folks who are just interested in modifiing their cars. But, there are more than a few who frequent there that can answer just about any tech question you can come up with. Their search feature is awsome. They also have an excelent FAQ called www.bmwtips.com

I swapped one of my E34's for an E39 about 9 months ago. I must say, the E39 is an improvement on the E34. I didn't say BETTER, I the E34 is certainly more fun to drive and has it's own unique look, (I think the E39 resembles a Honda). It is for me though, an outstanding highway cruiser with a more updated interior. Weak points are similar, cooling system, and front suspension as well as a few unique to the E39.

DueyT
08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I think I'd take an E38 before an E39...

Had the E39 actually been more like a slightly-smaller E38, I would be more inclined to get one next...the problem is it still seems more egg-like/generic/older Altima/Accord/Camry-ish than my beloved E34!

Ironically, as much as the silver E60's I've seen don't do anything for me, I recently saw a black on black E60 545i/6 in Toronto...it's not so bad looking in a darker colour...

Cheers,
Duey

nuwde
08-26-2004, 03:06 PM
thanks a lot guys. i really like this forum. i have an e34 so this will definitely be my mainstay. my mom has the e39.