PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Opinions: My shop broke something

DallasBill
08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Just had my car in for all 4 shocks, spring pads and rear shock mounts, as well as front sway bar links (I supplied all but the links). In the course of removing the rear seat to do the work back there, they broke one plastic guide at the top of one side of the rear seat -- where the shoulder strap feeds in and out.

They told me up front, blamed it on age and sunlight deterioration (which makes perfect sense) and told me it would be $5 for the part and about an hour's labour -- $75.

I'm thinking of suggesting to them that I'll split the whole cost w/ them to fix it, since I just dumped $750 on them already. What would you do?

AllanS
08-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Just buy the part for 5$ and replace it yourself. If it's the part that I'm thinking about, the one that moves up and down along the pillar trim and holds the belt, you can just pull the pillar trim out (it's held by clips) and pop the new one in. 10 second job.

Or just have the shop do it and tell them you refuse to pay 75$ for them to do it. The guide is plastic, it's not going to desintegrate due to sunlight. All my trim and plastic is original, and for the past 10 years, all owners of the car have kept it outside.

DallasBill
08-25-2004, 04:23 PM
If it's the part that I'm thinking about, the one that moves up and down along the pillar trim and holds the belt,It's the rear seat, at the top of the rear seatback. There is one embedded in the leather on each side. The belt feeds into it as it diappears in behind the seat and apparently you have to remove the seat and unbolt the belt (somewhere) to thread the new guide onto the belt.

If it's in Bently, or someone has instructions, I'll do it myself.

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 04:38 PM
I wouldnt pay someone 75 bucks to do that even if I was rich...well maybe rich and lazy.

Bill R.
08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Just buy the part for 5$ and replace it yourself. If it's the part that I'm thinking about, the one that moves up and down along the pillar trim and holds the belt, you can just pull the pillar trim out (it's held by clips) and pop the new one in. 10 second job.

Or just have the shop do it and tell them you refuse to pay 75$ for them to do it. The guide is plastic, it's not going to desintegrate due to sunlight. All my trim and plastic is original, and for the past 10 years, all owners of the car have kept it outside.

winfred
08-25-2004, 05:28 PM
ditto, i wouldn't bite on the 75 bucks though, i eat it when i **** something up

Sorry Allen on mine it definitely did disintegrate due to sun and heat

Geoff Hoad
08-25-2004, 05:42 PM
$75! Carumba! That's a licence to print money.

mikemaster
08-25-2004, 08:25 PM
It's a half hour job DIY. I'd pass on the $75, and maybe talk to the shop owner if you plan on going back, maybe he'll do something for you.

winfred
08-25-2004, 08:34 PM
if it's the parts fault and i don't have a used one to replace it we may ask for the customer to pay for the part but the labor's free unless it's something real stupid, like a customer seting us up for the fall

GJPinAU
08-25-2004, 08:40 PM
I replaced both of mine - its an easy job, just pull up your seat base, undo the seat belt bolts, pull off old - put on new plastic trim, do up bolts, put seat back. And I'm a great believer in DYI.

Geoff Hoad
08-25-2004, 08:45 PM
DYI. Do Yourself In? Hmm, sounds like me working on the 3 series! :)

DallasBill
08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ideas! :) I must admit that I am somewhat overwhelmed how fast members are ready to help here!!!

I must apologize that my OP was based on (what now is now limited at the time) phone feedback from my wrench, who is great and works for a good 2 location shop here in Dallas. After picking it up at 6pm, I saw that the "plastic plate cover" has a 3 inch crack-break in it... it likely happened when they tried to pry it loose from the top of the rear seatback... for no reason, but hey!

I can do one of 2 things... run a bead of superglue along the break of the crack and all is OK. Or, buy the piece for 5 bucks and replace it when I have time.

I am doing the third option... doing superglue and then replacing it when I have time... :D

Thanks again... from an enthusiast who does not have near enough time to devote to wrenching expertise as you all do.
It is GREATLY appreciated! ;)

mrbmw1
08-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Do you still have the peices if so SUPER GLUE
I had to do mine like that just until the black ones came in but its a quick DYI job don't over pay for simple stuff

Dave M
08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Ditto again, disintegration station. The only broken item duing an entire suspension swap was the same piece, hastily re-assembled with a 'nudge'. Could have been more gentle, but it was definitely weakened by sun.

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 10:16 PM
to dry,and while your waiting fot the new peices to come in might as well clean to detail everything onder and in back of the seats. Gives you a great excuse to make things "just right". LOL

If you can brag about the superglue issue 1 year from now ill drop my oppinion on it.

GJPinAU
08-26-2004, 06:50 PM
DYI. Do Yourself In? Hmm, sounds like me working on the 3 series! :)
No Geoff, it stands for Don't You Idiot!