PDA

View Full Version : how hard is door replacement?

pappentl
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
I have a '93 525iT with 130 k miles. The driver's side rear door is rusting along the bottom, and the driver's front door is rusting in the middle as the result of a poor quality fix sometime in the past. Otherwise it's a great car and we would like to keep it for a long while. So, how hard is it to actually replace the doors rather than have the rust fixed (a losing game from past experience)? Is this a DIY project (I'm currently replacing the drivetrain in our e12 with a 3.5 euro, so my skills are okay)? Anyone have a set of front and rear touring doors in black (with NO rust)? TIA for any insight into possible replacement.

...tom

Jeff N.
08-25-2004, 05:57 PM
If you are swapping in complete doors (full electrics, glass, all that), it should be very simple. Just unpin the doors, the check and the harness and swap away.

It would be more work by quite a bit if you had to swap the door guts as well, especially the window lifts as I recall they are riveted to the door.

Either way it's doable...just how much work do you want to put in.

Jeff
90 535i

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
if you can do a drivetrain you can do anything on that car! I would recommend paying the money for a complete door assembly if at all possible to save a lot of unnecessary headaches at the time and down the road. Black is a common color all you have to make sure is to get it from a southern car. Im in Michigan but my car came from Georgia, the body, undercarriage etc is immaculate compared to ANYTHING i have seen up here.

JeremyT
08-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Well, I have a front door from a 535i, and will sell it any way you choose, as well as a bunch of other e34 non-touring parts, . Email me @
jmthames@cableone.net
if you're interested in it.