PDA

View Full Version : E39 Manual - loud squeal coming from drivetrain

andyman32
08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, I just picked up a '99 528iT manual for a GREAT price. However, upon arriving home and driving it with the windows down, I hear something that's worrying me to no end: every gear emits a loud "sqquuueeeeaaallll" from under the car when I give it some gas between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. When it's in lower or higher revs (with or without gas being applied) the noise goes away. The noise also does not occur in that RPM range if I don't apply the gas pedal. This squeal is reproducible whether the car is hot or cold.

I have it scheduled to be taken in at Leith BMW in Raleigh next Tuesday, but I'd like to have some idea what might be wrong before I go in. I get the feeling that that's just what will happen: I'll get taken in. Unfortunately, I don't know much about manual trannies so I don't even have any theories at this point.

BTW: the CV boots are perfectly intact all around, so I don't think it could be the CV joints.

TIA for any theories you might have!

Bill R.
08-25-2004, 02:21 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/m52.jpg
Hi guys, I just picked up a '99 528iT manual for a GREAT price. However, upon arriving home and driving it with the windows down, I hear something that's worrying me to no end: every gear emits a loud "sqquuueeeeaaallll" from under the car when I give it some gas between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. When it's in lower or higher revs (with or without gas being applied) the noise goes away. The noise also does not occur in that RPM range if I don't apply the gas pedal. This squeal is reproducible whether the car is hot or cold.

I have it scheduled to be taken in at Leith BMW in Raleigh next Tuesday, but I'd like to have some idea what might be wrong before I go in. I get the feeling that that's just what will happen: I'll get taken in. Unfortunately, I don't know much about manual trannies so I don't even have any theories at this point.

BTW: the CV boots are perfectly intact all around, so I don't think it could be the CV joints.

TIA for any theories you might have!

andyman32
08-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks Bill! There is a rattle that goes along with it in the lower end of that range, especially when I shift in low RPMs and give it more gas. For maybe a half-second the rattle almost sounds like a diesel. Oh... the anguish...

So... If I read that correctly, the new pump can't be retrofitted to my car.

Does that mean that my 528 just has this horribly loud squeal and I'm SOL?