PDA

View Full Version : Put new fuel pump in 535i. Held breath, turned key...

Warren N.CA
08-25-2004, 11:03 AM
And it actually started. Go figure.

Not too difficult. Worst part for me was cutting off BMW's crimped-on hose clamps. Ruined a brand new $40 pair of diagonal cutters from Switzerland.

What kind of tool is most appropriate for cutting those things off?

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I expand them with a small screwdriver and just pull it off after sliding the hose off. was it a chore to replace the pump? Wheres the step by step?

Warren N.CA
08-25-2004, 11:31 AM
You just need to mark all the hoses, so they don't get interchanged. I used masking tape with felt pen marking. It really helps to run the tank down way low. I ran mine down to 48 miles remaining, according to the OBC. This put the fuel level BELOW where the pump is mounted, in the tank.

I tried expanding those clamps with a screwdriver, but found them too stiff.

BTW, the new pump makes a whirring noise. The old one made a louder hissing sound, instead of whirring. Unlike Mike Wong's, my old pump showed no visible signs of wear or damage.

I expand them with a small screwdriver and just pull it off after sliding the hose off. was it a chore to replace the pump? Wheres the step by step?

winfred
08-25-2004, 12:25 PM
hell i am to the point i reuse them i can get them off so well, theres two types of pinched clamps, one will open if you know how to talk to it, and the other is just squashed closed, both are done in with a pick and screwdriver and closed with diagonal or even better end cutters

And it actually started. Go figure.

Not too difficult. Worst part for me was cutting off BMW's crimped-on hose clamps. Ruined a brand new $40 pair of diagonal cutters from Switzerland.

What kind of tool is most appropriate for cutting those things off?