PDA

View Full Version : Question on Socket size For Big nut on Harmonic Balancer

rommel
08-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi Guys,
I just experienced my 1st major problem on my M30. The chain tensioner broke at the top. I'm in the process of removing the front covers and I'm at the Big nut on the harmonic balancer. I've removed the radiator for more room. I hope that I don't have to remove the AC condenser because it was recently converted to R134, new drier, R134 pressure switch,adapters, oil, & freon. Will I be able to remove this nut with a BIG wrench or do I have to remove the condenser and use an impact wrench? Is this nut a right hand thread or left?

1. Socket Size
2. BIG wrench or Impact Wrench
3. Right/Left hand thread

Thanks guys. Because of this forum, Bruno's site, and BMA I'm now at 358K miles. I'm going for a lot more.

Mr Project
08-25-2004, 08:04 AM
36mm. (found by searching)

I believe the spec is around 320 lb/ft. Would require a serious impact, possibly a 3/4" drive unit. There is a special BMW tool made to hold the engine from rotating during removal/installation of the nut, it runs around $130 (again, in the search)

winfred
08-25-2004, 08:27 AM
it takes a serious 3/4 impact, i've seen the special tool's wound up like a spring

I believe the spec is around 320 lb/ft. Would require a serious impact, possibly a 3/4" drive unit. There is a special BMW tool made to hold the engine from rotating during removal/installation of the nut, it runs around $130 (again, in the search)

rommel
08-25-2004, 08:32 AM
I have a buddy that has a 3/4 impact wrench with 800 lbs torque

Hector
08-25-2004, 08:43 AM
between nut and AC condenser unless you remove the condenser. Also, if you are able to use the wrench, get a twin hammer one as others will not be up to snuff, and don't forget to get an impact socket. I successfully removed the 36 mm nut with breaker bar and cheater bar combo, and with the tool to lock the crankshaft. It all went smoothly. Thread is left-handed as you view the engine from the front.

Hi Guys,
I just experienced my 1st major problem on my M30. The chain tensioner broke at the top. I'm in the process of removing the front covers and I'm at the Big nut on the harmonic balancer. I've removed the radiator for more room. I hope that I don't have to remove the AC condenser because it was recently converted to R134, new drier, R134 pressure switch,adapters, oil, & freon. Will I be able to remove this nut with a BIG wrench or do I have to remove the condenser and use an impact wrench? Is this nut a right hand thread or left?

1. Socket Size

Thanks guys. Because of this forum, Bruno's site, and BMA I'm now at 358K miles. I'm going for a lot more.

rommel
08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
between nut and AC condenser unless you remove the condenser. Also, if you are able to use the wrench, get a twin hammer one as others will not be up to snuff, and don't forget to get an impact socket. I successfully removed the 36 mm nut with breaker bar and cheater bar combo, and with the tool to lock the crankshaft. It all went smoothly. Thread is left-handed as you view the engine from the front.

rommel
08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Also, is this the right tool?

Bellicose Right Winger
08-25-2004, 09:30 AM
I got the balancer nut off my '80 528i using a 3/4" breaker bar and socket. I don't remember socket size though. Breaker bar was Snap-On monster.... must have been 48" long. Be sure you put a piece of plywood in front of your condenser if you go this route. I made a locking device for flex plate to keep crank from turning. If I had to do it over again I'd try to bolt a piece of angle to harmonic balancer and have it rest on ground to prevent rotation. I'm sure the crank was flexing by locking it at flywheel end. My recollection is It's a right hand thread, but I'll defer to Hector's judgement, he's likely done this more recently then me. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul Shovestul

Hi Guys,

1. Socket Size

Hector
08-25-2004, 09:48 AM
here

http://www.geocities.com/frothlikn/classic_tan2.html

Hector
08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
of the high miles, I'd check the crankshaft sprocket. If you decide to change it, then I'd change the camshaft and oil pump sprockets as well and start with a clean slate.

Remove in this order: pulley, harmonic balancer/vibration damper, nut and hub.

here

rommel
08-25-2004, 10:36 AM
of the high miles, I'd check the crankshaft sprocket. If you decide to change it, then I'd change the camshaft and oil pump sprockets as well and start with a clean slate.

Remove in this order: pulley, harmonic balancer/vibration damper, nut and hub.

rommel
08-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I got the balancer nut off my '80 528i using a 3/4" breaker bar and socket. I don't remember socket size though. Breaker bar was Snap-On monster.... must have been 48" long. Be sure you put a piece of plywood in front of your condenser if you go this route. I made a locking device for flex plate to keep crank from turning. If I had to do it over again I'd try to bolt a piece of angle to harmonic balancer and have it rest on ground to prevent rotation. I'm sure the crank was flexing by locking it at flywheel end. My recollection is It's a right hand thread, but I'll defer to Hector's judgement, he's likely done this more recently then me. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul Shovestul

rommel
08-25-2004, 10:40 AM
..........the pulley and balancer comes off before the nut?

Bellicose Right Winger
08-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Correct, the pulley and balancer are attached to the hub with 6 or 8 bolts. The hub is held onto crank with the nut, just like the exploded view posted above.

Paul Shovestul

..........the pulley and balancer comes off before the nut?

winfred
08-25-2004, 12:13 PM
that's the one, i've seen a few of those wound up and twisted like a spring

here