PDA

View Full Version : '90 535i Rattle when sunroof is open

hlenoble
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
My '90 535 has a fairly loud rattle that seems like it is coming from the sunroof. This rattle can only be heard when the sunrrof is open, which makes me confident that that is where the rattle originates from. Has anyone had a similar rattle that they fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
- Hal

iNomis
08-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I've got a noise that could be called a rattle. It turns out there is a sheet of something stuck on the roof behind the sunroof. When it is open all the way the sheet flaps in the wind and makes a noise from the wind. I close the sunroof a bit and the noise goes away. It doesn't look like a significant sheet, it's cardboard like and flimsy. Haven't had the major impulse to rip it out yet.

Karl

hlenoble
08-24-2004, 09:53 PM
I've got a noise that could be called a rattle. It turns out there is a sheet of something stuck on the roof behind the sunroof. When it is open all the way the sheet flaps in the wind and makes a noise from the wind. I close the sunroof a bit and the noise goes away. It doesn't look like a significant sheet, it's cardboard like and flimsy. Haven't had the major impulse to rip it out yet.

Karl

The rattle that I am hearing is not wind related. It is only when I hit a bump that the noise - a fairly loud rattle - is heard.

iNomis
08-24-2004, 09:59 PM
No idea then. You can see back in there. Take a flashlight and look around while shaking the leading edge of the sunroof? Good luck, maybe someone else will have the exact answer.

Karl

rph
08-25-2004, 05:54 AM
I wonder if that's what causes my headliner to pulse. I have an annoying oscillation of something inside there when the roof is open. Its a cross between a rattle and a vibration -- a vattle or ribration? I would like to make it go away. Didn't have it on my old '90 e34.

Karl

winfred
08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
an annoying buzz? it's the spring loaded flap in front of the sunroof, i've yet to really find time to figure out how to dampen it's movement, to test if this is your problem press up or pull down on the black spring loaded flap thingie in the front

I wonder if that's what causes my headliner to pulse. I have an annoying oscillation of something inside there when the roof is open. Its a cross between a rattle and a vibration -- a vattle or ribration? I would like to make it go away. Didn't have it on my old '90 e34.

AllanS
08-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Is it like a flapping sound? Mine did that, and it turned out to be a piece of long black tape at the back, running from side to side, which had come apart over time, and was flapping.

Mr Project
08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I noticed one when I had the headliner out. The plastic sunroof frame just 'slots' into a metal bracket in front, just above the rear view mirror. That 'slot' was a loose fit, and the plastic would rattle and vibrate there occasionally.

I fixed it by putting a few layers of friction tape (used for baseball bat grips) on the contacting surface. Tightened everything up, and not likely to fall apart or come loose in the future.

Problem is, that would be tough to get to with the headliner in place, I think. You might try pulling the little sunroof motor access panel and see if the rattle is accessible from there.

e34
08-25-2004, 09:45 PM
an annoying buzz? it's the spring loaded flap in front of the sunroof, i've yet to really find time to figure out how to dampen it's movement, to test if this is your problem press up or pull down on the black spring loaded flap thingie in the front

Yea i have the same problem, when the sun roof is open the noise comes from the little wind flap, when i pull it down it stops, its like a wissle. How can that be fixed?

rph
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Nope, it comes from behind the roof opening in the headliner.

winfred
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
that area buzzes when the airfoil or whatever it's called is flapping

Nope, it comes from behind the roof opening in the headliner.