PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Help!!!!!

callen
08-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Can't get my 530 in gear.......first thought either clutch master or slave bad.....replaced slave...bled and still nothing. Can get in gear when engine is off......anyone ever had this problem....could the throw out bearing or pressure plate have broken?

Any thoughts

Callen 94 530i 91 535i 89 735il

Mr Project
08-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Does the clutch pedal "feel" like it's engaging/disengaging normallly?

Could you get a helper to watch under the car for movement of the actuator rod? (not sure if that's visible on a 530?)?

callen
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately the rod is not visible which is a real bummer.....the pedal does feel same as before. Just ordered a clutch master and will install on Thursday. Would hate to have to pull the darn transmission.....

thanks for the response......

Callen

94 530i 91 535i 89 735il

632 Regal
08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
swap it out for an auto trans!

Just kidding, I want to know whats goin on with that thing.

Warren N.CA
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Check to be sure the bolts that hold the master cylinder are tight. If they are loose, the clutch will not engage all the way.

It is possible that more bleeding is needed. Bleed a lot, and pump the pedal. Be sure to keep adding fluid to the reservoir, each time you bleed.

For some reason the clutch hydraulics are particularly susceptible to getting air in the system, and need plenty of bleeding and coaxing.

Can't get my 530 in gear.......first thought either clutch master or slave bad.....replaced slave...bled and still nothing. Can get in gear when engine is off......anyone ever had this problem....could the throw out bearing or pressure plate have broken?

Any thoughts

Callen 94 530i 91 535i 89 735il

dave b
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Check to be sure the bolts that hold the master cylinder are tight. If they are loose, the clutch will not engage all the way.

It is possible that more bleeding is needed. Bleed a lot, and pump the pedal. Be sure to keep adding fluid to the reservoir, each time you bleed.

For some reason the clutch hydraulics are particularly susceptible to getting air in the system, and need plenty of bleeding and coaxing.
Wouldn't the clutch hydraulics give you feedback in the pedal if they were bad? Whenever I needed to bleed my clutch, I could feel less resistance in the pedal.

callen
08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Changed Clutch slave and bled it well.....also checked bolts on Clutch master and distance from pedal to firewall....all okay....

callen
08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
True...when theres no pressure the pedal actually stays on floor...you have to manually lift it couple times to get pressure.......pedal feels as it always has hence my fear of internal clutch problems. Dreading pulling trans....dreading it.

dave b
08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Better the clutch than the transmission...