PDA

View Full Version : Hot Start Problem

LuF
08-24-2004, 01:34 PM
I have done everything to this vehicle,The Bruno fix,New Battery,New Starter,New Alternator,New Thermostat and still the same darn problem if I drive and I get to where I need to be come back and the darn thing does not start.I am at wits end with this vehicle got a gallon of gas for it(To burn it)

1989 BMW 535ia 102ks(supposedly, carfax also claims I am the only owner,which Im not) :( :( :(

Mr Project
08-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Fusible link? Have you replaced it lately?

Also, what do you mean by 'does not start'? Does it crank and not fire? Will it not even crank? Does the starter solenoid 'click'? ........

LuF
08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Fusible link? Have you replaced it lately?

Also, what do you mean by 'does not start'? Does it crank and not fire? Will it not even crank? Does the starter solenoid 'click'? ........

The starter solenoid does click,but the car will not start or crank.When it cools off it starts right up.Where is this fusible link located? I know for a fact it has never been replaced since I have had this vehicle.

Mr Project
08-24-2004, 03:05 PM
I believe it is under the rear seat, I think it's the main power to the fusebox from the battery. Should be the second-largest red cable you can find. :)

If the starter clicks, it could be the starter solenoid giving you trouble too. Is the starter NEW or 'New' (as in a parts-store rebuild)? I've had trouble with cheapo reman starters on other cars...

LuF
08-24-2004, 03:24 PM
The starter is a remanufactured one, I got it from Bavarian Auto and even after it was put in the problem still persisted.So Far the money I have spent on this problem I could have replaced the engine or bought another car. I am really tired of dealing with this problem. But hey I do thank you for your suggestions.. :D

Tiger
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Are you saying that engine will crank and turn over but won't start??? Then I would say that you got a vapor lock... easy fix... use E39 fuel checkvalve kit for $25.

Tiger
08-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Fusible link is located under your rear seat bottom... follow the skinny cable from the battery... to a rectangular black box... that's it.

632 Regal
08-24-2004, 05:18 PM
he says it will not crank yet he can hear the selenoid click, I would think that it is something stupid. First guess is starter for obvious reasons the selenoid could be bad even though it clicks and thats what i would replace next. should check battery voltage when the car is off, running and when you have the hot start problem. Check the battery cables closly, there could be a short in them somewhere giving you this problem. I had a very similar problem in my 4x4 2 years ago and replaced EVERYTHING, eventually found out it was my brand new battery with a dead cell in it...that took me about 2 months to figure out.

Tiger
08-24-2004, 06:57 PM
IF you hook up the jumper cable to another car... even though your battery may be new, and the car cranks, then you know the battery is at fault.

Ya I know.... I look at his first post and sounds very ambigious... and he changed everything... funny...

LuF
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Thank you for your suggestions I will try them all and update if any success has been had.I'm thinking of just buying a newer 535 because I doubt I will find one that will have had as many problems as this one. I will then part out the one I have now because I wouldnt wish this headache on anyone.

gvilkelis
08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
hi,

I had quite similar problem, but on jeep cherokee. It was because battery connectors were dirty, and I guess starter could not drain enough power from the batery. It used to produce clicking sound, but no cranking.

I thing you should check all wiring from batery to the starter. Maybe starter relay is bad? Or some bad electrical contacts somewhere?