PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Bleeding

undertheradar
08-24-2004, 09:55 AM
About three months ago I took my 92 525 to the local indy. I had them fix everything that was leaking, the car was leaking oil and trans fluid, the car being 13 years old I figured that gaskets needed to be replaced. After about a week later the trans was leaking again. After about 7 times and another set of pan gaskets they stated that the pressure was too high, forcing the fluid out at the weakest point. They also think that there is a valve that is stuck inside. The car shifts fine, sometimes when shifting from park to other gears, and from other gears to park, there seems to be some slight tension, the tension is gone as soon as the gear selector is near reverse, also it is butter smooth after reverse. It seems more noticeable when parking on slight inclines, i.e. driveways. I also use the parking religiously. Also it seems to drip more when idling.
I had bad experience with trans shops in the past; I think they are snakes, so I am a little bit weary of dropping it off at one. Also being in the Detroit area, no shops (at least the ones I have talked to) have the code reader, and they say take it to the stealer (snakes also).
If anyone has any input where to proceed from here it will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
92 525i auto, build date 09-01
Tom

ryan roopnarine
08-24-2004, 10:18 AM
sounds like you've got a case of the pendulum shift, at least the very beginning stages of it (the leak and the reverse hesitation). here's the TSB and repair instructions provided to me by scott council, who fixed it and rebuilt his tranny himself.
i'm on a school computer, so i'm prohibited from copying links or viewing html source.....so
go to my webpage, here
http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar
and look for the pdf document entitled SI pendulum shifting
and click on it.
HTH.

About three months ago I took my 92 525 to the local indy. I had them fix everything that was leaking, the car was leaking oil and trans fluid, the car being 13 years old I figured that gaskets needed to be replaced. After about a week later the trans was leaking again. After about 7 times and another set of pan gaskets they stated that the pressure was too high, forcing the fluid out at the weakest point. They also think that there is a valve that is stuck inside. The car shifts fine, sometimes when shifting from park to other gears, and from other gears to park, there seems to be some slight tension, the tension is gone as soon as the gear selector is near reverse, also it is butter smooth after reverse. It seems more noticeable when parking on slight inclines, i.e. driveways. I also use the parking religiously. Also it seems to drip more when idling.
I had bad experience with trans shops in the past; I think they are snakes, so I am a little bit weary of dropping it off at one. Also being in the Detroit area, no shops (at least the ones I have talked to) have the code reader, and they say take it to the stealer (snakes also).
If anyone has any input where to proceed from here it will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
92 525i auto, build date 09-01
Tom

undertheradar
08-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, I did a little research before picking it up the second time, and I actually printed that out and gave it to the guy that worked on my ride, he read it and said that he did not think that it was it, that is when he said he did not think it was it.
Tom

ryan roopnarine
08-24-2004, 10:31 AM
scott has been considerate to make a webpage out of his little adventure
here:
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/sbcncsu/index.html

as you can see, it is all seal damage, and seal damage can certainly cause pressure increase and cocomittant spitting up of ATF in an automatic transmission.

ryan roopnarine
08-24-2004, 10:47 AM
also, consider that that set of instructions also specifies special bolts and higher bolt torques, perhaps you would get the best results if you steam washed your undercarriage and determined specifically where your tranny leaks are originating from.

undertheradar
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks Ryan, I think at this point I will have to look more into that.I was hoping that it was a electro gremlin.
Tom

brian_s
08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
tom,
i just left the BMW dealer/service center.....i am having some of the same issues minus the leak. i thought that it might be the DME relay, and was prepared to buy one @ $25.20....however the service guy told me that it would not fix the issue. the problem may be with the cable that connects the trans and the trans control module. he said their could be a short in one of the wires...or the trans control module itself....$1000.00 +....he said that there is also 2 more sensors inside the trans that could be bad. i have already replaced the speed sensor on the outside of the trans/toward the rear....$289.00. the trans was also rebuilt (after purchasing a core $550.00)...$650.00...clutch plates and metals etc..not internal electronics....mine after 2186XX miles was not rebuildable...too much hard part damage.
hope some of the info helps.
brian

micjordan
08-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Hello, I just got a new transmission put in my 93 740, a 5hp30 transmission. I just got a call from the dealer and they said it took 15 liters of fluid. I thought a 5hp30 only took 8 liters and at $26/liter thats a difference of $182. Can somebody tell me for sure what it takes and maybe even provide a link to an official page for the 5hp30 that says how much fluid it takes so I can print that out and show the dealer.

undertheradar
08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies, looks like it is time to start saving some bucks and purchase a tube of anal lube so it does not hurt so bad when the shop bends me over. Or I can get creative with my parking and connect all the drips on the driveway and use it for a slip and slide.

Tom

mearaman
08-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Tom,

I'm leaking from the torque converter housing. Mechanics say they'll need to open up the tranny to diagnose. I'm leaking about 1/2 pint per week. Otherwise, the tranny works fine. Don't know what i'm going to do.

Tiger
08-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Take the car to Kirt in Zeeland, MI... he is the best.

brian_s
08-25-2004, 02:47 PM
it may just be the front seal.....the converter is bolted to the flex plate...which is bolted to the motor...once u pull the trans, the front seeal will be exposed...three small bolts hold it in place after it's been pressed in...that can be done with a rubber mallet and a soclet..the seal is about $25.00 at the dealer.

brian_s
08-25-2004, 02:48 PM
...that's socket...not soclet.

bjl4776
08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
It may take 15 liters to fill it up initially and 8 whenever you change the fluid. When the fluid is drained alot of it remains in the torque converter and such so you don't have to replace it all. I might be wrong as i am not familiar with auto trannies on bmw's but it may be the case, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong