PDA

View Full Version : Project:Head replacement any advice...

Mr. BILL
08-24-2004, 08:28 AM
The timing belt broke a couple weeks ago on my son's '90 525 M20. Removing the valve cover showed a broken rocker tower. I asked around and didn't get too much encouragement about re-welding said broked piece. I "won" (LOL) a rebuilt head on ebay from what appears to be a reputable seller.

So, I'm going to make this a project for some "male bonding" with my son and hopefully save a pile of cash. I'm a pretty good DIY'er, so I think I'm up to the challenge.

I have a Bentley, looked at Bruno's site and a TIS, (although my TIS doesn't say much about head R&R). My questin is, is there anything missing from the Bentley I need to know about? Are there any special tools I will need? So far, the only tool I see I need is a protractor for head tightening. I saw a post how to make one out of cardboard.

Any other suggestions/hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance, wish me luck!

Bill

Rigmaster
08-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Double, triple, quadruple-check the timing belt alignment BEFORE trying to start the car for the first time after the work. This will avoid having the belt off by 1 tooth, or having it 180 degrees off or anything bad like that. Just manually rotate the crankshaft (using 22mm socket or wrench) a couple of revolutions, and carefully check the timing marks each time they come up.

Other than that- it's pretty straightforward- just take your time.

Bret.