PDA

View Full Version : Praise God I'm still alive!

Robert K
08-23-2004, 11:59 PM
I had to drive to another town about 20 miles away today for work. Since it was going to be a nice day, I decided to take my 1991 535i. The road is a divided four lane highway, but it's not a interstate, so there are many side roads that connect with it. So anyway, I've got the cruise set and am just enjoying the drive when just up ahead, I notice to my right a fully loaded dump truck on a side road approaching the highway. As I get within a couple hundred feet where his road intersects the highway, I think to myself, "he sure does seem to be going fast for being that close to the stop sign." I barely had that thought out of my head when I realize that he is not stopping and is about ready to drive straight into my right side. Thank God for reflexes, because that's all it was. I jerked the wheel hard to the left and moved over to the left lane, which was empty. I never even had time to hit the brakes, scream or anything else. In an instant it was over and I was okay. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that the person in the truck didn't get it stopped until they were in the medium between the divided lanes. Either he never even saw me, or what I believe is more likely, he miscalculated the stopping distance needed for his fully loaded truck. Had I been about 2 seconds later, I don't think I would have been able to avoid a 55 mph headon into the side of that truck.

I've always believed in owning cars that handled and braked well. I also believe that engine horsepower can be a safety device in certain circumstances. Had I been in an overweight, high center-of-gravity SUV, I probably would have rolled it today and possibly lost my life. Had I been in a sloppily handling car with poor tires, I probably would never have made it around the truck either. But my 535i has a fully modified suspension with Z-rated Michelins. Because of that, to be honest, the actual swerve was very uneventful. I was never out of control and the car did exactly what I asked. Today, I reconfirmed my committment to buying cars with the virtues of good handling, horsepower and braking and actually told my wife that we would probably would never own an SUV.

In the Bible, in Hebrews 1:14, it says of angels, "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?" As a Christian, I am fully convinced that angels were watching over me today. As I think back over today's near miss, the one odd thing that stands out to me is that I remember actually noticing the large pieces of white rock above the top of the sides of the truck's bed that signified he was fully loaded. In that one split second instant, I realized that he wasn't going to stop because he probably ran out of brakes. On any other day, I probably would never have noticed that one important detail. But today, I did, and that one piece of information probably saved my life. As a Christian, I don't believe in luck or coincidence. I do believe however that God can and does work in our lives and I thank Him that I'm still here to write this tonight.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Paul in NZ
08-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Robert I am glad that fortune smiled on you today...your thoughtfulness in appreciating the situation as it developed also played a part I am sure.......

Matt M.
08-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Thank God u are ok...those incidents can be real eye-openers.I just had a recent crash where a guy rear-ended me at a stop sign in my prestine 95' 540, I am a christian too and I thought it was an interesting crash in that I was on my way to church (about 2 miles away from where I live) and the kid who hit me lives right next door to me and was going to work because he didn't want to go to church. I thought that u guys might get a laugh out of that. The only bummer was that he totaled my car! Oh well...I guess the 97' estroil blue E36 M3 supercharged and intercooled car will have to be my daily driver. God works in mysterious ways. Even in tragedy God brings his stray brothers and sisters back to Him. God bless

Julius
08-24-2004, 06:28 AM
It's great to hear you are well, i can also say that my car has saved my arse several times.

George M
08-24-2004, 09:32 AM
guess God likes your wretched soul better than Kory's and his girlfriend Robert whose lives were just beginning....or perhaps the great all American Pat Tillman who lost his life in Afganistan protecting people he didn't even know.

http://www.picturetrails.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2573392&uid=8883

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4815441/

There is nothing wrong leading a Christ like existence but for you to honestly believe that God spared your life when so many other deserving people who eclipse your contribution Robert, lose theirs....is arrogant and misguided. News flash for you Robert...there is nothing particularly special about you...other than basically you are a nice guy who likes to blubber on about your faith and find anecdotal reasons that justify your belief system. God doesn't choose favorites....or Charles Manson would never have taken his first breath and would long ago have taken his last. Do me a favor Robert when you get down on your knees and pray, please pray for all the innocent people that are about to be victims of the approx. one hundred serial murderers currently hunting people in the US that aren't quite so lucky to have your close association with God.

Suede
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
My theory is that the safest vehicle is one with great brakes, that can be controlled during emergency maneuvers under heavy braking.

A well maintained E34 qualifies.

The most survivable accident is the one you're not in.

Suede

MicahO
08-24-2004, 11:02 AM
George, all Robert did was thank God for allowing him a bit of insight in avoiding what would have been a bad accident. Further inferences are unnecessary. Most of the post referred to the handling capabilities of the car which allowed him to successfully act on the situation he saw unfolding.

This thread is closed.

--Micah