PDA

View Full Version : film on windshield where wipers wipe

PhilipJCaputo
08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
When my windshield gets wet, you can see this film like/hazy/oily area under where the wipers wipe..... other than replacing the windshield, is there some kind of cleaner I can use to get rid of it?

632 Regal
08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
I treat my windshield (windscreen) with Rain X and use rain x washer fluid in the washer jug also. At speeds above 40 I rarely have to use my wipers at all, anything above 60 or so theres never a need. When the wipers do wipe theres a fog like area that you mention but not adverse to me in any way.

PhilipJCaputo
08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I use the rain-x washer fluid.... and it really isn't a problem on the road, but when I go under a street light (like when driving through a city) that film just lights up the winshield making it difficult to see through it as well I would like....

I've been thinking about taking a razor blade to see if I could shave off the film.... or maybe some dish soap to the windshield to remove any grease....

George Davis
08-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I use a product called 'Glass Stripper' occassionally, it does a pretty good job of cleaning the road film from the windshield. I can't remember who makes it (might even be a Rain-X product?), but found it in the wash/wax/detailing section of an auto parts store.

RobPatt
08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
...gives that rain-x effect. otherwise, I just wipe the wipers when I wash the car... rains almost daily this time of year in Florida. cheers, rob '93 525ia @126K