PDA

View Full Version : OT: Went to see a neighbor's father's car collection yesterday...

billb
08-23-2004, 09:19 AM
very interesting collection:
'53 Caddy Series 62
'63 split-window Sting Ray
'70 Caddy Brougham
'02 C4S

They also own an X5 4.4 and a 745i...

And his dad offered the keys to the C4S for me to take for a spin...and I declined.

Of course, I had been on a 54-mile bike ride in the morning, and was a tad tired. Hope to see that split-window in the neighborhood. 327-340 posi...I asked him which he liked to drive the most, and he thought long and hard about that one. He said it's amazing how the Carrera pulls through the corners, not tail-happy at all. But in a straight line...

*sighs*

Brian C.
08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
...What's a C4S? Is that one of them there Poarchees? (I saw the Carrerra reference.) And man-o-man, a '70 Caddy Brougham. A true homage to the American road yacht. Which Caddy was bigger....the '70 or the '53?

Brian C.

bjl4776
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
It is a porsche 911. C for Carrera, 4 for 4 wheel drive, and S for sport.

billb
08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
...What's a C4S? Is that one of them there Poarchees? (I saw the Carrerra reference.) And man-o-man, a '70 Caddy Brougham. A true homage to the American road yacht. Which Caddy was bigger....the '70 or the '53?

Brian C.

yup...a p-car (makes me think of the old joke "name three cars that start with "p""...)

The '53 I'm sure weighed more...factory air, with the little clear tubes going up to the headliner, really neat! The compressor was about 12" in diameter, all sweated copper lines, some braided copper...a piece of work! Probably 200 lbs. of chrome on the front. The '70 was this gentleman's father's last car, a sentimental hold-out. Unrestored, as his father wished.

I'm still kicking myself. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself. He said he'd like to go for a ride in a Model A...maybe a swap for a weekend?

:D