PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem - new to BM's

Whizzo
08-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi
I have just bought my 1st BMW, 1991 E34 520i.
I think I may have a problem with my auto transmission. My last car a 190e Merc hads a very 'direct' feel when you put the foot down, this car seems to rev more and eventually you feel the speed increase.
My 1st instinct is to check the transmission fluid level - not sure how to find it!(no owners manual).
Can any of you offer some advise, and is it possible to download user manuals on the web.
Thanks
Whizzo :(

Mr. BILL
08-23-2004, 08:34 AM
First off, welcome to BMW and the forum. It's true Mercedes' tranny's shift much more harshly than a BMW. However, if your transmission is slipping, that's not the way it's supposed to work. I'd suggest taking the car to a independent BMW tech. I'm pretty sure '91's dont have a dipstick as the transmissions are sealed. If it is low, a good tech should be able to top it off.

You can get a replacement owners manual from the dealer for around $16. If you plan on doing any maintainance yourself, you should get a Bentley Repair manual. They run $35-40 and will pay for itself the first time you use it. That along with this forum will be invaluable for maintaining your car.

Karl
08-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi
... this car seems to rev more and eventually you feel the speed increase.
Whizzo :(
Torque converter really lets the engine rev a lot in comparison to other cars I've driven (91 525iA). Worked the same despite fluid service/replacement and transmission replacement. I guess that's the way they're made.

Last weekend I had the car at drivers' school--just had to see how it would all work. I finally got to the point where I would floor the accelerator at turn-in. Then the trans would downshift and engine would be wound up at the apex.

Robin-535im
08-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I.e., Bowel Movement. I hope this isn't your first! If so, I'm sure you will like them - but be careful, they're habit forming.

:)

brian_s
08-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Being that the trans that was put into the car from the factory had a dip stick...and the replacement trans does not.....the fill hole, that is the left hand side bolt, driver's side for US cars, correct? Once filled, the fluid should be at the botton edge of the hole....? (where is the DME relay BTW?)
Thanks.

Whizzo
08-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the replies - Brian S - what is a DME relay?

brian_s
08-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies - Brian S - what is a DME relay?

it is the Digital Motor Electronics. DME/Motronic Systems Relay. The Control Unit is the main computer...from what BMW explained. The relay is more or less a fuse. I am hopeful that my Trans Program Message is due to the relay being bad.....for $25.20 at John Roberts BMW, it's worth a shot. If not, then I will check into bulletin # 62 05 94 (14131)....check the voltage of the RxD line (pin 25 of the connector X8500). If this voltage is not above approx 10 volts, the Trans Control Module will not ground pin 29 of X8500, causing the Check Control Module to post a "Trans Program" warning. Low voltage on teh RxD line can be caused by an intermittent short to ground on the RxD line....example, at X275 under t he driver's seat....if teh ground is detected...it can be repaired with electrical tape...