PDA

View Full Version : Good place to find OEM style/color headliner material?

atomicDog
08-23-2004, 01:44 AM
I getting ready to tackle redoing my '95 525iT's sagging headliner. This car has the dual sunroof option, so I'm not looking forward to it.
Anyone know where I can find some quality headliner material that matches the OEM style/color/quality? Also, any tips on doing this job would be appreciated.

Mr. BILL
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
www.headlinerkit.com they have a good "how to" for a BMW 5 series

atomicDog
08-23-2004, 08:59 AM
www.headlinerkit.com they have a good "how to" for a BMW 5 series

ScottyWM
08-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I just did this myself. It's NOT easy. Getting the headliner out isn't too hard. Getting the old stuff off isn't too hard. Getting the new material to conform to all the curves and such is the bear. I did a small write up on this last month. Try searching for it - my search function isn't working right now. (If you can't find it let me know.)

Do you know how to get out the sunroof panels? If not, I've got the instructions from Bill R. I can send you.

I got my material from a local auto upholstery shop, they had hundreds to choose from. (Make sure you get the good stuff, 1/8" foam.) It runs $8 - $12 per yard. I bought 4 yards just to be sure, but could have done it with three. I did all the pillar covers too. It was much easier to find the material/color I wanted in person than off of a website. I went with a newer style material that is less fuzzy than oem, like they're putting in the newer cars.

I did it myself A) to save money and B) thinking I could do it better with more care than a shop. But it was not fun. I had to redo 2 items, but it turned out great. And the inside is now quieter too!

Good Luck!