PDA

View Full Version : can you shut off the refrid. lines around the schraders in r12 sys....

ryan roopnarine
08-22-2004, 10:27 AM
i went out to the car this morning and examined the r12 lines to see if there was any rubber anywhere so as to enable me to replace the schraders by simply clamping down on them with vicegrips or such, no dice. i know that on home ac systems, you can usually isolate the system to an extent so as to minimize gas loss. are there valves somewhere that can be closed off so that the schraders could be replaced with minimal charge loss? oh, and after sticking my hand under the line insulation near the valves, i felt some telltale lubricant on both lines, so i have a strong suspicion that both are leaking. thanks.

Bill R.
08-22-2004, 10:56 AM
i went out to the car this morning and examined the r12 lines to see if there was any rubber anywhere so as to enable me to replace the schraders by simply clamping down on them with vicegrips or such, no dice. i know that on home ac systems, you can usually isolate the system to an extent so as to minimize gas loss. are there valves somewhere that can be closed off so that the schraders could be replaced with minimal charge loss? oh, and after sticking my hand under the line insulation near the valves, i felt some telltale lubricant on both lines, so i have a strong suspicion that both are leaking. thanks.

ryan roopnarine
08-22-2004, 12:31 PM
will go to a legitimate hvac place and buy the best caps that will fit. thanks.