PDA

View Full Version : Installed Bruno's thrust arm inserts

Russell
08-21-2004, 05:06 PM
I just installed the thrust arm bushing inserts that Bruno Sells at Racing King www.racingking.ca on my 95 525i. No real problems except I am not sure I was able to completely torque the bolts to about 96 pounds. Not much room for leverage with car up on plastic ramps. They are a bit too low. I used a breaker bar and torque wrench to tighten after the car was pulled upon the ramps.. How critical are the torque values? I did not put any weight in the seats like some have suggested. Is this a problem? Do I have something loose or too tight?

On a short drive, I noticed a previous slight 55-60 mph vibration was almost gone. Looks like it helped. The steering also feels more precise.

632 Regal
08-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Russel, Congrats on the bushing change over! The torque values should not be under but a bit over is acceptable. You mantion you still have a bit of shimmy (I have been fighting this for years) In addition to the bushings you may have to get your tires road force balanced ... discount tire offers this for 80 bucks and they arent as knowledgeable as I am on the procedures, seemed like I was their first customer. other than the tires you could have a weak shock/strut that will allow the tire to hop at speed. And dont forget that any play in any of the steering joints can cause a place for play. Its a hard customer to get it right and I can only dream of the day when I can cruise without a hop that bugs the **** outta me.

Russell
08-21-2004, 07:49 PM
My tires have been road force balanced. I dont think you mean "straighttrak" where the shop uses a Hunter system to measure tire/wheel runout and place wheel/tire combo so as to cancel runout. If this is what you mean, I have not done it -yet.

My 60 mph vibration came back after about 3,000 miles after road force balancing. Just a few weeks ago I rotated and balanced twice in one day. There was not any change after this "exercise". I may have been too judgmental on vibration in my previous post. After another drive with Bruno's inserts I did not notice any vibration. Go figure?

I should mention I also lightly block sanded the surfaces where the wheel meets the rotor to ensure that scaling and corrosion was removed and the wheel assembly was mounted correctly/flush. Someone on one of the boards suggested this to reduce vibration.

Yes, I think my struts are "soft". They are on the list for replacing. Think I will go with stock struts.

Russel, Congrats on the bushing change over! The torque values should not be under but a bit over is acceptable. You mantion you still have a bit of shimmy (I have been fighting this for years) In addition to the bushings you may have to get your tires road force balanced ... discount tire offers this for 80 bucks and they arent as knowledgeable as I am on the procedures, seemed like I was their first customer. other than the tires you could have a weak shock/strut that will allow the tire to hop at speed. And dont forget that any play in any of the steering joints can cause a place for play. Its a hard customer to get it right and I can only dream of the day when I can cruise without a hop that bugs the **** outta me.