PDA

View Full Version : how difficult is to replace radiator - web site recommendations for how to?

notesguy
08-21-2004, 05:49 AM
I have a '90 525i. This forum and the dealer recommended I get a radiator, so I need some "how to" information. Preferably a web site with picture and detailed instructions.

If you know of such a site - I'd REALLY appreciate you replying to this.

Many thanks in advance.

George M
08-21-2004, 07:18 AM
not sure about pictures but use the Search function on this excellent site for your answers. A pretty easy job and your answers should be there.
HTH.

Mr. BILL
08-21-2004, 09:30 AM
You need to break down and get a Bentley manual. It is worth it's weight in gold and you'll get the $35-40 back the first time you use it times 2. Between the Bently's and this site, I've saved a couple grand maintaining three different E34's.

As far as replacing the radiator:
1. Disconnect neg battery terminal
2. Drain radiator, (engine cold)
3. Remove fan clutch assembly, You'll need a 32mm wrench and remember, it has REVERSE threads.
4. Disconnect all hoses.
5. Disconnect fan switch on passenger side of radiator.
6. Disconnect coolant level switch from bottom of radiator expansion tank.
7. Disconnect ATF lines, plug and point them upwards so they don't leak everywhere.
8. Pry off the plastic retaining clips on the top ends of the radiator. Note: these usually break, so I'd have replacements ready.
9. Pull radiatior up and out of car.
INSTAL is reverse.

Notes: I'm not sure if I actually removed the fan clutch, it is easier though if it's out of the way. It's also easier if you put the car on ramps first. Make sure you get the fan shrowd tabs in their proper locations.

Make sure you bleed the system properly.
1. Turn on heater all the way.
2. Fill system until coolant runs out of bleeder screw, close bleeder.
3. Start engine and let idle until temp is normal, open bleeder screw until bubbles stop coming out, close screw.
4. Open screw again and rev engine to about 1500 RPM to remove any remaining bubbles, close screw.

That should do it. Good luck, and get a Bentley!

PhilipJCaputo
08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Right on Bill!

I did my radiator about 4 weeks ago, and it took about an hour or so, pretty easy job.

Be sure to get those plastic clips that hold the radiator in place, they were only like 3-4 bucks a shot from my local stealer.

Also why not replace upper and lower radiator hoses while your at it. It'll only add like 30 total bucks to the cost.

visit www.bmaparts.com (http://www.bmaparts.com) for the parts. When I purchased the radiator they had 3 that would work for my car (but I've got the M60)..... and I asked which one they would recommend, and the guy there actually recommended the lower cost ones.

for like 20-30 bucks I had them 2nd day out to me in ohio (they are in cali).

you'll also want to pick up a thing of BMW antifreeze from your stealer (probably like 15 bucks)

here is a web site about bleading the system http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Engine/Coolant%20replacement.htm

Radiators are pretty easy, just a little costly (200 bones for my radiator)....

Good luck

ryan roopnarine
08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
if you are looking for GENERAL instructions on how to replace your radiator, here is a page from our good friends sean and johan
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/sean750/radiator/RadiatorReplacement.htm

the m20 has an integrated overflow tank like the m50, so much of this wont apply to you, as it is for a m70 v12 but it still gives you an overview.

uscharalph
07-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Just wanted to re-up this post as I'll hopefully be installing a new radiator next weekend.

liquidtiger720
07-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Does anybody have a picture of the engine block coolant drain plug for the m50tu?