PDA

View Full Version : Trailing arm bushing removal

kentish
08-18-2004, 12:46 PM
What does changing the trailing arm bushing implies? Any major work to the rear suspension?

What needs to be removed and how much does it cost?

Ken
540ia 1994

Robin-535im
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
What does changing the trailing arm bushing implies? Any major work to the rear suspension?

What needs to be removed and how much does it cost?

Ken
540ia 1994

You're talking about the little bushings, four of them on the car, right? I believe you can unbolt the trailing arm and rear suspension and replace them while the arm is in the car. The manual says to pull the arm off the car, which may be the long yet simple route, but I'm pretty sure you can just drop the trailing arm in place (i.e., leave the half shaft connected to the rear bearing / wheel mount area) and press/install the bushings with an appropriate bushing press tool.

If you're talking about the "beercan" bushings, qty two per car, those are pretty easy if you have the right tool. I rented it from Koala, though IIRC you're on the other side of the pond so that might not be an option. That job is a piece of cake with Bruno's instructions and the correct tool.

HTH

Robin

kentish
08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the instruction Robin, Will try to see if mech can do that in a near future