PDA

View Full Version : IBUS Lcd hackers

netmgr
08-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok - ive read this stuff about the IBUS but is it for later BMWs? or will my e34 be able to use same structure so i can send text to the dashboard lcd from my PC in the boot and display mps track names?

help me!
darren

George M
08-17-2004, 07:07 PM
I-bus technology came after not during the E-34 model run. If you are smart enough though you can hack the interface to the I.P. display which is an LED not LCD with your PC. Maybe take you a life time though :-) Later BMW radios had an I-bus for steering wheel and CD changer control and why later BMW radios can be interfaced more easily with an Ipod using the right link.

netmgr
08-18-2004, 07:52 AM
i agree the full structure came after the e34 - however the e34 still has 1 wire to let say the phone talk to the lcd and produce text on the dashboard so does the radio so im guessing the same structure applies

heres what a prev post said:
babalouies

http://www.openbmw.org/bus/

I'm planning a project to tinker around with this sometime over the next month. Primarily I'm worried that the I-Bus spec might have changed some since the E34 (I seem to remember seeing this info was reverse engineered from E46). Hopefully at least the basic idea will still hold, which would at the very least mean being able to jack in the ipod through the cd-changer line ins, and if someone else out there has figured out the Ipod remote interface you could control it through the radio. Displaying track info on the OBC would require more complicated software support from the Ipod end.

I-bus technology came after not during the E-34 model run. If you are smart enough though you can hack the interface to the I.P. display which is an LED not LCD with your PC. Maybe take you a life time though :-) Later BMW radios had an I-bus for steering wheel and CD changer control and why later BMW radios can be interfaced more easily with an Ipod using the right link.