PDA

View Full Version : OT: opinions on RX8?

warton
08-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Anyone driven one? What are they like? Just curious...

Peter

Jeff N.
08-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Test drove one. Tracked like a go cart. Adequate but not huge power. The rear doors make for a fair amount of space. Zero extra headroom for me - 6'1" - no way to fit me and a helmet in the car.

Kamil
08-17-2004, 12:25 PM
- No head room (esp w/ the sunroof) (I'm 6'2")
- weird interior
- surprisingly torquey for a rotary
- pretty on the outside w/o the body kit
- small interior compared to E34 (heh)
- questionable long term relaibilty?
- decent trunk

Otherwise, quite nice, I would seriosuly consider it.

darthmaul
08-17-2004, 07:57 PM
i was very surprised!

on paper it sounded like a torqueless wonder but i found it revved up incredibly fast and it was hard to cruise down the freeway under 90mph. it's very stable, quick, and handles nicely. the shifter is great! very short throws and a nice short stick too.

winfred
08-17-2004, 08:07 PM
id love to check out the new rennesis rotary, i enjoyed my 83 12a 100hp 100flb rx7, the hot version of the new motor makes more power NA then the last 13b did with twin turbos

i was very surprised!

on paper it sounded like a torqueless wonder but i found it revved up incredibly fast and it was hard to cruise down the freeway under 90mph. it's very stable, quick, and handles nicely. the shifter is great! very short throws and a nice short stick too.

Mr Project
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Drove one. LOVED it. I've had a couple of first gen RX-7s, and the spirit is really there in the RX-8.

AMAZING communication with the driver and overall balance
Super responsive and light on its feet
Smooth, even power delivery that never runs out of revs
Phenominal turn-in and mid-corner balance
Decent ride, and decent back-seat room
Don't look at the back seat and you would never know it's not a 'pure' sports car. It just feels that good, and I'm picky about sports cars. :)

Downside is the crappy gas mileage and if you punch it below 4-5k....you just have to wait a while....not real powerful down low. Once you get it rolling, though.... :D