PDA

View Full Version : I Bent One of my BBS RX...Didn't think it was possible.. Opinions needed now.

rommel
08-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Anyways, Local street dept dug up old pavement and waited 14 months before resurfacing (which took 2 and 1\2 days when they finally decided to resurface) right before my house. A month before they resurfaced, I hit the pavement where it was not tampered with, the end of construction, 2" lip. I'm now trying to decide whether to replace the rim from TireRack ($250 +4 Tires) or buy the set of Rondell #58 17s with tires from TheWheelExchange for $1300 with Pirelli P6s.

I really need help from all of you experienced E34'rs with this decision.

Thanks!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Tiger
08-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Pirelli P6 or P6000 are old tires... not good as I do have them.

Jr ///M5
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
You might be able to get in touch with your city officials to recoup some of your loss. There shouldn't be a 2" lip in the pavement left without ramping up with temporary hot mix.

We have a section of highway that buckles at the expansion joints during extreme heat of the summer. The buckled part will heave up about a foot on both sides of the expansion joint and can easily take out the entire suspension of a car traveling 70 mph. I've seen some people in the middle of the highway waving frantically to divert traffic around the shoulder to avoid pending disaster.

Considering your options, I would have the wheel repaired at one of the reputable shops that advertise in the Roundel, or one that someone here on the board recommends. Then I'd shop for some great tires at the rack. You would be at least $500 ahead, plus you would end up with premium tires of your choice.

Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it....=)

Good luck,

Jr
'91 ///M5

rommel
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Are Roundell's as durable as BBS's?

You might be able to get in touch with your city officials to recoup some of your loss. There shouldn't be a 2" lip in the pavement left without ramping up with temporary hot mix.

We have a section of highway that buckles at the expansion joints during extreme heat of the summer. The buckled part will heave up about a foot on both sides of the expansion joint and can easily take out the entire suspension of a car traveling 70 mph. I've seen some people in the middle of the highway waving frantically to divert traffic around the shoulder to avoid pending disaster.

Considering your options, I would have the wheel repaired at one of the reputable shops that advertise in the Roundel, or one that someone here on the board recommends. Then I'd shop for some great tires at the rack. You would be at least $500 ahead, plus you would end up with premium tires of your choice.

Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it....=)

Good luck,

Jr
'91 ///M5

Jr ///M5
08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
I believe the BBS wheels are forged, that's as strong as they come. I'm not sure about the Roundells if they are forged or not. A forged aluminum wheel like the BBS is certainly more stronger than the cast wheels. There should be a significant weight savings using the forged wheels too.
If you had been running cast type wheels, chances are you would have bent all of them.

Jr

scott540
08-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I've got the 58's. They are cast. Got mine from wheelexchange with Pirelli p7000 super sports. I'd fix your old wheel if you've already got a set of nice BBS's

rommel
08-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I've got the 58's. They are cast. Got mine from wheelexchange with Pirelli p7000 super sports. I'd fix your old wheel if you've already got a set of nice BBS's

scott540
08-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I like them. It took forever to decide on new wheels but having all of the pictures on this board helped. I'm glad I got em. I've got the 17x8.5 front and 17x10 in the rear.

rommel
08-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I like them. It took forever to decide on new wheels but having all of the pictures on this board helped. I'm glad I got em. I've got the 17x8.5 front and 17x10 in the rear.

scott540
08-17-2004, 09:38 AM
no problems at all. Only pic I really have. Thought I had more but I guess not

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/scott540/112-1203_IMG.jpg

rommel
08-17-2004, 09:17 PM

rommel
08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to make any mistakes. Are they clearcoated? How difficult to maintain?