PDA

View Full Version : Running Problem

Paul261267
08-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi All

I have had a running problem with my E34 520i for a while now.

I have had it fully serviced today, including cambelt, and the problem is still there...it is an intermittent throttle problem, it feels very flat when it is revved, feels low on power, and trys to stall sometimes...then it picks up above 2500 rpm.

I am thinking it could be the Air Flow Meter? If any one has had a similar problem I'd be grateful for any advice.

It drives ok and is smooth and powerful during normal use.

Also any tips for releasing the thermostat housing bolts? They feel solid and seized on mine...tried the usual stuff including heating them up, but in they stay!

Cheers

Paul

dreamer_bimmer
08-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi there,
I just had exactly the same problem with my 1990 525i, did you find a fix? Here's a copy of my recent post:

"Im new to the forums but if anyone can help me it'll be here. The car started fine but as I went along the road the engine started to struggle and the revs would not go above 2000rpm. I pulled over and tried to warm the engine up a little by revving a little but it was still struggling, as though the engine was cold or wet or something. forgive my technical ignorance!

After about 5 mins it started acting normally and I continued without any more problems. Its quite worrying though, I have no breakdown protection at the moment! Any ideas gentlemen?

Thanks"

phildg2000
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey Paul,

My '89 525i (euro M20) does the same thing. I could not find any vacuum leaks. I tried adjusting the AFM and am now on full close (no air bypass). Logic says that there IS a leak somewhere. I'm also going to try cleaning the injectors (off the engine) this weekend. If it works, I'll let you know.

Philip