PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to "IPOD" an e34?

rev zundfolge
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Wouldn't it be great to run your IPOD and have the display in your dash like the cd changer was ment to be? If they can do it with a new BMW how hard would it be to adapt it to our classic E34 and others ? :D MMM MMM cool :D

Fivfingerz
08-15-2004, 10:10 PM
That would be great wouldn't it, I was thinking the same thing after I saw the commercial. What do you mean by "having the display in the dash like the cd changer was supposed to be?"?

winfred
08-15-2004, 10:48 PM
i would bet the cost of developing a way to customize the obc display would possibly rival the price of selling the e34 and buying a e46 with the ipod stuff, i would like to see oil pressure/temp coolent temp and voltage in the cluster readout, now that would be bitchen

Anton CH.
08-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Or you can just buy an Alpine unit which is compatible with the Ipod at a much smaller cost.

rev zundfolge
08-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I thought the trunk changer (which I don't have) was controlled by the dash unit and displayed in the guage cluster like the tape/ radio unit does.

winfred
08-15-2004, 11:09 PM
most e34/32s don't display the radio tape and cd stuff in the cluster, it's almost rare to have it

I thought the trunk changer (which I don't have) was controlled by the dash unit and displayed in the guage cluster like the tape/ radio unit does.

bighc2000
08-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I plan on putting a Kenwood Head Unit, with a ipod connection by Dension USA (http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79). Then I plan on a Sirius connection to round out the sound upgrade.

I would like to put a version of this StealthOne (http://www.jaricdesign.com/products.htm) in the E34. Any ideas?

Djones6622
08-16-2004, 01:34 AM
I just bought a C43 radio from a later model Bmw and I'm going to get the Dension Icelink to plug my old first generation ipod into in my e34. I won't get the display capabilities, but I want to hear the music so no biggie. I just gotta figure out the ibus thing before I add the cd changer into the mix too.

Paul in NZ
08-16-2004, 03:54 AM
:d

babalouies
08-16-2004, 11:35 AM
http://www.openbmw.org/bus/

I'm planning a project to tinker around with this sometime over the next month. Primarily I'm worried that the I-Bus spec might have changed some since the E34 (I seem to remember seeing this info was reverse engineered from E46). Hopefully at least the basic idea will still hold, which would at the very least mean being able to jack in the ipod through the cd-changer line ins, and if someone else out there has figured out the Ipod remote interface you could control it through the radio. Displaying track info on the OBC would require more complicated software support from the Ipod end.

netmgr
08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
so is it possible to use this ibus method to display text on the dashboard lcd?

im not bothered for the buttons, but would like to display text via my computer for mp3s in the boot

darren]

http://www.openbmw.org/bus/

I'm planning a project to tinker around with this sometime over the next month. Primarily I'm worried that the I-Bus spec might have changed some since the E34 (I seem to remember seeing this info was reverse engineered from E46). Hopefully at least the basic idea will still hold, which would at the very least mean being able to jack in the ipod through the cd-changer line ins, and if someone else out there has figured out the Ipod remote interface you could control it through the radio. Displaying track info on the OBC would require more complicated software support from the Ipod end.

DallasBill
08-17-2004, 11:22 AM
most e34/32s don't display the radio tape and cd stuff in the cluster, it's almost rare to have itWell, I guess mine's rare... my after-market Pioneer changer in the trunk shows each CD and each track change on the guage cluster.

John D
08-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Actually it sometimes throws me off sometimes seeing the data pop up on the cluster......

John D
94 525, 125K, CDX-M30......

PhilipJCaputo
08-17-2004, 04:22 PM
My 95 shows it as well... and when thinking about chaning head units that was one detraction, as I kind of wanted to keep the info comming up on the cluster... but as I now have had the car for a couple months, I don't even look at the cluster for the info

Fivfingerz
08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
My 91 525i has a factory disc changer in the trunk and does not display info in the dash. It also does not play mp3's and its a lot cheaper to buy an ipod then to buy a new head unit or cd changer.

SamB
08-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I've iPoded my car, it's got a Kenwood head unit for which I got the Kenwood AUX/RCA adapter cable to plug into the iPod. I also took the cigarette lighter out of the coin tray thingy and have the cable coiled up in its place.

Doesn't display on the dash of course but generally I know what songs it's playing anyway...

Now it would be really cool if you could use the OBC button on the indicator stork to skip to the next track.