PDA

View Full Version : Please help with value: 1995 540i

scott mc '95 540 6spsd
08-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Hey all, New to board, PLease help me with this car!

US car, 178,000 miles, MFG data 9/95, Nikasil block (998), absolutely perfect idle, passed M60 test 30k miles ago

It has all maintnenance records, and has been impeccably maintained mechanically and cosmetically

Exterior paint: Alpenweiss III. Very nice, a couple of nicks up front along leading edge that have been filled, no dings at all

Interior leather, 9 out of 10. Gray

All electronics work

Radiator hose connector at upper left shot, needs new radiator.

Leak of undetermined source dripping very slowly from lower banjo fitting on PS pump. may even be PS fluid...

He wants US $10,995. I want to offer $9200 including taxes, tags, etc. What do you all think?

Sweetwater
08-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the car you describe in my location would not be worth more than $7500. Why does it need so much work for a top dollar price?

rnrn
08-14-2004, 10:18 AM
That sounds high to me since I paid 12K for 80K with BRAND NEW Alusil block and 9.5/10 everywhere else. Are you ready to spend $5K+ for a new engine in the near future...?

632 Regal
08-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Thats not a bad price to pay for a well maintained 540, you could do as others say and get a car for less that has been beat to piss from some young kid and end up having to replace everything bringing your total up well over 15k. Nikasil??? Good leakdown, good engine, use the highest octane you can get, good excuse for a chip too.

scott mc '95 540 6spsd
08-14-2004, 08:18 PM
interested in buying, to find flaws and to see how the past owners have maintained the car. You would not believe how clean this car is. I took off the boots for the ebrake, shifter, and seat belt fasteners. NOTHING! No food, coffee stains, NOTHING! It has been garage kept and has had redline changed every 4K miles.

I need a radiator and a JC chip. Slight fluid leak at the lower banjo fitting on the PS pump. it doesn't seem to drip much, though. slight shimmy between 75 and 80 mph. Maybe upper control arm bushing? I need a Bentley!

MBXB
08-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Get an EAT chip. Even better!

632 Regal
08-15-2004, 06:22 PM
or lower thrust arm bushing, usually the common practice is to replace the bushing and arm as a unit as the ball joints wear, make sure you get the 750 bushings with the thrust arms as they last longer. Check your prices at www.bmaautoparts.com and use the discount code bimmer.info. you can also call them and get real pricing (my preference) but the online ordering is convenient. You could also have an out of round tire that causes the shimmy 70-80ish or a worn strut insert.
Good luck mann and enjoy your new toy, sounds like an awesome investment! (no french fries...hmm...)