PDA

View Full Version : Yes...another post regarding steering problems

pdxbmw525i
08-12-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a '93 525i. I've owned this car for about a year now and love it. (my first BMW.)
The car always pull left or right, depending on the road condition. Well, recently I took the car in and had the front shocks replaced (they were bad.) I was hoping that this would eliminate the steering/handling problem. It's better now but still noticable at times.

Also, the mechanic that replaced my shocks told me I have 7-series wheels (16") on my 525I. He didn't think this was a problem. I mentioned the steering problem to him. He checked out the steering links, seemed fine to him.

My first question is, 'Is there a problem with having 7-series wheels on my 525I and might this be why my car pulls left or right on highways?'

My second question is, 'Should I have a front wheel alignment done, now that I have replaced my front shocks?'

I did lift the car and check out the pitman arm bolt that others have posted on this site. Doesn't seem loose.

I have also tightened the nut underneath the dashboad at the steering column. Didn't do anything.

Besides having a steering box going out on me, I was hoping some of you BMW gurus could give me some other parts/areas to consider looking into regarding this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AllanS
08-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Definately go in for an alignment!

winfred
08-13-2004, 09:01 AM
sounds like the toe settings are off, if the front wheels are toe'd out the car can't decide which one to follow and will twitch back and forth depending on the road

pdxbmw525i
08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
sounds like the toe settings are off, if the front wheels are toe'd out the car can't decide which one to follow and will twitch back and forth depending on the road