PDA

View Full Version : No "Lights on?" on E34 1988

gvilkelis
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Hello,

My 525 E34 year 1988 does not show "Lights on?" warning when I leave it with lights on and open driver's door.
Does anyone know was it an option for year 1988 and which module/part is responsible for this?

I think (but I am not really sure) I saw this warning on my car a few times, so it might be a case that something is not working there.

thank you for ideas,

G.V.

Mr Project
08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
I forgot to reconnect my chime last time I was under the dash, and now my 'lights on' indicator doesn't always come on (worked fine before). If your chime is disconnected it may have the same effect.

gvilkelis
08-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi,

No, the chime is connected - I can hear it when I brake the OBC predefined speed limit.
The door open/closed swithes also work fine, because the interior lights react to door openning

aussie540i
08-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Hello,

My 525 E34 year 1988 does not show "Lights on?" warning when I leave it with lights on and open driver's door.
Does anyone know was it an option for year 1988 and which module/part is responsible for this?

I think (but I am not really sure) I saw this warning on my car a few times, so it might be a case that something is not working there.

thank you for ideas,

G.V.
Hi, the chime works for speed warning signal, but does the chime go off if you leave the lights on and open the drivers door? (just trying to work on process of elimination) btw i had a 1990 525 and for the life of me cant remember if it had the "lights on" feature in the dash (must be getting old) i do know my current E34 does..... however irrelevant...hope i have helped in some way...best of luck

steve mackney
1993 540ia (+ 2 previous E34's)

gvilkelis
08-13-2004, 08:53 AM
No, there is no sound nor dash message when I leave the lights on and open drivers door.

StuartB
08-13-2004, 12:25 PM
my '89 525iSE manual doesn't... I tried having a looky on the online ETK (http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/) but it only has a pic of the control box, not where it's located.

aussie540i
08-13-2004, 12:39 PM
okay good, now you know that your chime works for speed breach but not for " the lights left on" function...try going to an auto electrician and tell him that your "lights on" warning is not showing in the dash as it should when you open the door and get out of the car.....(when you leave them on) this is an obvious fault... there is also some module i have seen mention on this forum that may also have something to do with it.....there are some genius's in here.....i am sure will help.....

hope this helps

steve mackney

1993 540ia & others

gvilkelis
08-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I have also found this "LIGHTS ON MODULE" in ETK but don't know where it is located and is it the thing which is responsible for lights on warning.

Paul in NZ
08-16-2004, 03:50 AM
my 1990 (12/89) 535 i does not have a lights on warning,and the manual implies that the warning is an option so it may be that it is not broken.You may not have the hardware....I am pretty sure tho it will be plug and play.....I have learnt to recognise a more subtle warning tho.If your interior light comes on as soon as turn off the key you have got your lights on :D

JonE
08-16-2004, 11:03 AM
I don't know whether I have the lights on warning in my '90 535i, but at night when I garage the car, shut off the headlights, then shut off the engine, my interior lights come on. I think this is a convenience feature so one can gather their stuff befoe getting out of the car. There is then the delay after getting out of car and closing the door, interior lights finally shutting off after about a minute.

Warren N.CA
08-16-2004, 12:52 PM
When the electrolytic capacitors inside the cluster fail due to age and heat, it can cause messages to fail to appear, as well as other anomolies. See http://www.e34.net

Hello,

thank you for ideas,

G.V.

henryw525i
08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Well I have heard off a friend that when he swapped LKM module the "LIGHTS ON" warning came on and then when he put the old LKM in he never saw it again. Puzzling

gvilkelis
08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I have replaced the capacitors in my dashboard a few months ago - they caused trip odometer/language resetting almost every time I started the engine. So I guess the capacitos should be OK.

I have found some wiring diagrams of CCM (Check Control Module), and I am going to check if it gets informed about drivers door open and lights being on. Hope this will give me some clues :)

thanks,
G.V.

gvilkelis
08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
I have a friend, who has E34 525 '90.
His car has exactly the same LKM module (same part number), and the car has "Lights-On?" feature. However, his CCM module is different (different part number).
I guess also the wiring could be different too ...

gvilkelis
08-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I have finally found some CCM wiring diagrams and did more checking.
I have checked if CCM receives a signal when driver's is door open and also if CCM receives signal from lights switch.
I have found out, that when drivers door is open, CCM receives ground on pin 1 X18 connector, so it is OK.
The light switch signal is rather strange, but also seems to work - when lights are on, CCM (pin 25 X19 connector) receives 0.5V + current, and when lights are off it receives 13V. This 0.5V is strange, but I guess this is inductance from other wires.
I am also not really sure, if signal from lights switch is the thing used for "Lights-On?" warning - CCM has quite a few connections to LKM module too.

Since it seems, that CCM is receiving right signals to show "Lights-on?" warning, I think, I will try swapping my CCM with some CCM from a newer E34. Hope this will not burn my car :)

Ps. I have also tried resseting oil service lights too. According to information on the web, I should have shortenned pins 7 and 19,turn ignitation kee to position 2 and wait till I see green lights. This did not work on my car. The only way I have found to work was to turn the ignitation key to position 1, and then connect pin 7 to the ground for a few seconds.

gvilkelis
08-20-2004, 05:42 AM
I have finally solved the no "Lights on?" issue.
For older pre '90 (I guess) E34s for this message is reponsible the LKM unit. CCM plays no role here.
The LKM unit had two versions - LKM-B (Basic) and LKM-L (Luxury). Only the Luxury LKM has "Lights on?" feature.
For later (redesigned) dashboards the "Lights on?" feature was build in dashboard itself, so no LKM Luxury version is needed.

I have replaced my LKM from LKM-B to LKM-L (payed about 14$ for second hand one) and now the feature works.

Warren N.CA
08-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Or did you replace only the four large ones shown on bmwe34.net? Mine had 12 electrolytic caps, and I replaced them all. My "Lights On" message did not appear before completion of the project.

Hi,

I have replaced the capacitors in my dashboard a few months ago - they caused trip odometer/language resetting almost every time I started the engine. So I guess the capacitos should be OK.

I have found some wiring diagrams of CCM (Check Control Module), and I am going to check if it gets informed about drivers door open and lights being on. Hope this will give me some clues :)

thanks,
G.V.