PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on this car for sale?

e34_buyer
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I am going to drive this:

http://bmw.s3os.com/

What are the main things to look for?

I don't mind basic repairs, I am just worried about a cracked block or replacing a transmission. Are there any transmission checks I can perform at test drive?

Should I worry about the nikasil engine?

Thanks very much for any input!!

Tom

PhilipJCaputo
08-12-2004, 03:27 PM
There is this web site www.bmwe34.net (http://www.bmwe34.net/) lots of info there about the cars, what can/will probably break.

I swear I've seen that license plate not too long ago, I think someone else may have inquired on this car a few weeks back. Anyone??

I am going to drive this:

http://bmw.s3os.com/

I don't mind basic repairs, I am just worried about a cracked block or replacing a transmission. Are there any transmission checks I can perform at test drive?

Tom

PatrickPGH
08-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Wasn't this car posted before?

G Feller
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
1) Nikasil? Almost definitely, with a lot of miles on the block to boot.
2) If that is the original "strong-shifting" transmission, it is almost certainly on its last legs (which, if it has had a recent fluid change, you might very well not notice until it was too late).

So basically both major worries you have (engine and tranny) are in play here. I believe this is the same car the other poster was looking into, and he smelled a skunk . . . cruise control failure is not a problem we usually hear about, and that car had the same problem. There are several easy fixes to do which suggests that the seller is either turning it over, or they didn't know/care how to take care of it.

They have cleaned up their act though--the other ad/link we saw (e-bay possibly?) was more transparent.

"Don't walk, run" as they say, away from this car. I wouldn't even bother to drive it, but if you do, do not be seduced by its power to the point of overlooking the many warning signs here.

There are plenty of good ones out there. Hold out for a better example. For that price you should be able to get a high-mileage car with a replaced or rebuilt tranny and the Alusil block replacement.

Good luck!

Tom

e34_buyer
08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi,

Thanks, everyone! Seems like $4K might be a more appropriate asking price?

Tom

"Don't walk, run" as they say, away from this car. I wouldn't even bother to drive it, but if you do, do not be seduced by its power to the point of overlooking the many warning signs here.

There are plenty of good ones out there. Hold out for a better example. For that price you should be able to get a high-mileage car with a replaced or rebuilt tranny and the Alusil block replacement.

Good luck!

aussie540i
08-13-2004, 12:20 PM
1) Nikasil? Almost definitely, with a lot of miles on the block to boot.
2) If that is the original "strong-shifting" transmission, it is almost certainly on its last legs (which, if it has had a recent fluid change, you might very well not notice until it was too late).

So basically both major worries you have (engine and tranny) are in play here. I believe this is the same car the other poster was looking into, and he smelled a skunk . . . cruise control failure is not a problem we usually hear about, and that car had the same problem. There are several easy fixes to do which suggests that the seller is either turning it over, or they didn't know/care how to take care of it.

They have cleaned up their act though--the other ad/link we saw (e-bay possibly?) was more transparent.

Good luck!
the message is clear ....when in doubt look about......