PDA

View Full Version : Another OT (I'm full of 'em today!)...SpecMiata

billb
08-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Dad calls last night while I'm out on a ride. I call him back later in the evening...
"Got a proposition for you. You're talking about taking your 318 to a driver's school in March. How would you like to do one in January?"
"In what? I might not be car-ready by then."
"In a SpecMiata."
"Whose?"
"Well, that's where you and I come in...(his cousin) is going to build one, to regain his competition license (he used to race IMSA with Factory Mazdas in the 80s and early 90s)."
"How much?"
"Well, for about $1500, that would be 1/4 share in the car."

Dilemma, dilemma...what would you guys do? Having a 14-month old at home, and on one income, this would be nearly impossible. But how often can you get into amateur racing so cheaply?

Argh...

Rigmaster
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Spec miata sounds fun, but how about SpecE30?? www.spece30.com

They recently had a race (NASA-sanctioned) at VIR and had 12 cars racing- this on the 1 year anniversary of the start of this series!! Lots of folks are building cars right now, and they can be built for about the same cost as a Spec Miata- or even less!

Bret
(thinking about a SpecE30 winter project!!) :)

carolina525
08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Springfield1952
08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Bill,

It's not my money and I'm long past having a 14 month old rattling around the house but my guess is you'd have a blast if you join in with your dad. Long ago when I had no money and did have little ones I did some fun stuff with cars that I don't regret for a minute doing. Good luck.

Curt.
1994 530iT

georgek
08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi Bill. I don't know whether you've raced before, but you probably know that racing is most definitely *not* cheap - the intial car cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Apart from your safety gear, you've got tires, brake rotors and pads, fuel, entry fees,...the list goes on and on...I calculate that each one of my race weekends costs me [turn on magic hiding-message-from-wife message blocker here] about $5-600 (and that's not including travel and accomodation costs). Still, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

GeorgeK - racing until the little tykes start showing up...

billb
08-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi Bill. I don't know whether you've raced before, but you probably know that racing is most definitely *not* cheap - the intial car cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Apart from your safety gear, you've got tires, brake rotors and pads, fuel, entry fees,...the list goes on and on...I calculate that each one of my race weekends costs me [turn on magic hiding-message-from-wife message blocker here] about $5-600 (and that's not including travel and accomodation costs). Still, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

GeorgeK - racing until the little tykes start showing up...

Crewed for various outfits for the last 12 years, in various formats. I KNOW it ain't cheap, but for little investment, can get into a car and share with 3-4 other guys, running various events throughout the year. The engine man would be the principal owner. The car is donated, only cost is refurbing the engine and converting an automatic to manual, plus brakes/tires/wheels/springs/shocks/gauges/etc. Engines generally good for two seasons, couple of sets of tires per season, etc.

We're still at the "discussion" point now...but thanks for your thoughts!