PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Amp

Steve N
08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I have searched the archives for an answer to a very basic stereo question but can't find the answer.

I have a '93 525 Touring with a stock, base stereo. It is my daily driver and the reception is horrible and no CD changer is installed. I checked the antenna amp, it is working so my conclusion is that the tuner is just no good. Is the amp built into the head unit or is it a separate unit? If it is built into the head unit then it is a very straight forward thing to pop in a new CD unit and call it a day. If not, well..........

WarrenBrown
08-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I think since 91, maybe earlier, the E34 cars have separate audio amps. In the Touring I believe it is in the left hand storage compartment behind the left rear tire. You have to take some additional covering off to see it. Pretty much the sample place as a sedan. I know my 92 525i had one and that car had zero options.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

632 Regal
08-11-2004, 08:35 PM
plug n play, perhaps the antenna in the rear window was scratched throug at a time and is cause for your bad reception?

Elekta
08-11-2004, 09:06 PM
make sure that antenna plug at the back of the head unit is on tight. it might be dislodging when you slide it back in? My wife has had the same issues before I bought a newish replacement headunit on tha bay, and then added the pioneer cdxm30.

In the back of the Roundel is a guy who repairs all bmw headunits with a 1 yr warranty for like $75 plus shipping. It's a small ad in the classifieds.

I bought my replacement headunit for $70 a year ago, and it was a lucky crap shoot.

Steve N
08-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Ok, so I have one vote for plug and play and one vote for a seperate amp. Now I am back at square one. On my old E30 325 the amp was built onto each speaker. I think my M3 was the same way.

I looked around the rear well on the left side one time already. I'll check again.

make sure that antenna plug at the back of the head unit is on tight. it might be dislodging when you slide it back in? My wife has had the same issues before I bought a newish replacement headunit on tha bay, and then added the pioneer cdxm30.

In the back of the Roundel is a guy who repairs all bmw headunits with a 1 yr warranty for like $75 plus shipping. It's a small ad in the classifieds.

I bought my replacement headunit for $70 a year ago, and it was a lucky crap shoot.

Steve N
08-12-2004, 01:33 PM
I ran outside and took a few pics of the back of the car. They are not the best (I took them with my TREO) so please cut me a bit of slack.

You can see the cable for the CD changer, the BMW phone, and the power for the Changer. Under the cables is just white painted steel. Where else to look?

Ok, so I have one vote for plug and play and one vote for a seperate amp. Now I am back at square one. On my old E30 325 the amp was built onto each speaker. I think my M3 was the same way.

I looked around the rear well on the left side one time already. I'll check again.