PDA

View Full Version : Don Gale said it best....Bangle swung...

George M
08-11-2004, 08:06 AM
his ugly stick once again. Better snap up those E-46's while they last. Another nail in the coffin:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e32/5518163-1.html

billb
08-11-2004, 08:17 AM
While I do like the performance numbers of E36 and E46, I can't get out of the '90s I suppose, loving the look of the last year of handsome sedans!

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/fgump/specmiata.jpg

AllanS
08-11-2004, 08:40 AM
At least it's more conservative than the new 5... but that's not saying much. I finally saw one up close yesterday, a manual 525i in black to boot, and it really is as ugly as the pictures show it to be. There was a green e39 (and my e34) right next to it, which allowed for a good comparison.

Very dissapointing... but I don't really mind. My next car wouldn't have been new anyways- I'll probably be moving towards the 80s or even 70s next time.

But I feel bad for the guys who buy new cars, and don't have the time/knowledge/motivation to deal with older ones. It seems like the choices for saloon cars like the e34 are getting more limited.

mrbmw1
08-11-2004, 09:26 AM
I say DITTO I love my 87 325is more each time I see one of these non bmw looking bmw's

Springfield1952
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
. . . and while I was waiting for the parts guy to get my order I took a closer look at the Z4 roadster. I thought that seeing the lines and body contours close up would make me appreciate the design more. Uhhh, no. What a shame since the design of a roadster ought to be cool and fun and a blast. Not tortured sheet metal.

Curt.
1994 530iT, looking better all the time.

winfred
08-11-2004, 01:08 PM
but the z8 looks bitchen

. . . and while I was waiting for the parts guy to get my order I took a closer look at the Z4 roadster. I thought that seeing the lines and body contours close up would make me appreciate the design more. Uhhh, no. What a shame since the design of a roadster ought to be cool and fun and a blast. Not tortured sheet metal.

Curt.
1994 530iT, looking better all the time.

Scott H
08-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I think his whole line is starting to take a cohesive shape, which is much better than when the 7 was all alone, and stuck out like a sore thumb. I like the Z4 and the new 5 if they are the sport packages and have suspension and wheels to fill out the wheel wells completely......the large slab sides need the bigger wheels to break it up a bit.

I do agree with you George, the snap decision that Jill made in getting her 2003 330Ci 5-spd was criticized sharply by yours truly (for a few reasons), but time has softened me, and I'm glad we have it around. :D

his ugly stick once again. Better snap up those E-46's while they last. Another nail in the coffin:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e32/5518163-1.html

Jason
08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
While I do like the performance numbers of E36 and E46, I can't get out of the '90s I suppose, loving the look of the last year of handsome sedans!

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/fgump/specmiata.jpg

Martin in Bellevue
08-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I think his whole line is starting to take a cohesive shape, which is much better than when the 7 was all alone, and stuck out like a sore thumb. I like the Z4 and the new 5 if they are the sport packages and have suspension and wheels to fill out the wheel wells completely......the large slab sides need the bigger wheels to break it up a bit.

I do agree with you George, the snap decision that Jill made in getting her 2003 330Ci 5-spd was criticized sharply by yours truly (for a few reasons), but time has softened me, and I'm glad we have it around. :D

George M
08-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi Scott,
I have always been a fan of the E-46 remembering how clean the design was when it first came out. Surprised you didn't like the car initially. Your comment about
cohesiveness...well...LOL...there is cohesive good and there be....cohesive ugly. I think we have coined a new BMW'ism. The new Bimmer's aren't coyote ugly...they be
cohesive ugly. Reminds me of a hot girl hanging out with a couple of fugly girl friends....only in this can they all be ugly.
I kinda like the Z4 or should say I don't find the Z4 objectionable....perhaps slightly better than the retro Z3 roadster which I have given thought to picking one up as a summer runabout because the price is right and they are fun and don't look bad. Some don't like the Z8....I really like it....an amazing car. The other Bimmers...they simply suck...no matter what wheels or body kits you hang on them to distract from the repugnant body work.
George
P.S. Sorry I wasn't home to receive your call on the weekend and hope all is well.

Scott H
08-11-2004, 04:19 PM
I never said I didn't like the car. I thought the E46 was awesome when it first came out. I can remember when they released the Ci in 2000, I always wanted a 328Ci. I found out right away that they had a 3.0 I-6 coming down the pipe, and I was going to wait for that. I decided it probably wasn't smart to spend that much money, and bought my E34 instead. I am glad I did as it has been a fun car to play with and has been paid off for some time now.

What I didn't like was that she didn't get the sport package, or the manual sport seats, and that is has added debt and a nice car payment to our load....... ;)

As far as the new bimmers, it is apparent that we are all forming our own opinions, and that they vary widely. I think the new 545i/6 is a sweet ride, but if given the choice between an E34 M5 3.8 6-spd and the E60, I would definitely stick with the E34. The new M5 coming out will be something to watch for sure. The Z8 kicks ass any way you look at it.

No biggie on the call.....I just assumed you were out enjoying a weekend of nice weather as anyone should be.

Catch you later

Hi Scott,
I have always been a fan of the E-46 remembering how clean the design was when it first came out. Surprised you didn't like the car initially.P.S. Sorry I wasn't home to receive your call on the weekend and hope all is well.