PDA

View Full Version : Rear pads - help needed by E34 novice

Zeuk in Oz
08-11-2004, 03:43 AM
I cannot get my genuine rear pads into the calipers of my recently acquired standard '89 525i 5 speed. They appear to be too thick. Is there a trick or do I need a special tool or am I just incompetent?

billb
08-11-2004, 07:39 AM
to get the new pads in. Check the level of fluid in the reservoir...if near full mark, you may want to siphon a little bit out to allow for some backfilling as you compress the piston, which will force some brake fluid back into the reservoir. I use a c-clamp in the center of the piston. Compress until the piston is flush with the body of the caliper, then your pads will fit over the rotor.

Your first purchase for your newly acquired E34 should be a Robert Bentley manual...the "Bible" for E34 owners!

Available online...check links on this site.

Welcome to the family!

tracye34
08-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Before unbolting the calipers from the car, there are two hex head bolts under plastic caps on the back side of the caliper. Unscrew these bolts and the caliper guide (not sure of the terminology) will come off the caliper. This will allow easy access to get the pads in. I tried everything in the world before realizing this. This makes it very easy.

Good luck

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/brakes/pads.htm

Zeuk in Oz
08-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Bentley sounds like just the ticket.

Zeuk in Oz
08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? Removing the hex head bolts did the trick.