PDA

View Full Version : Popping and Backfiring

pineman
08-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Popping and Backfiring

I foolishly wash down my '92 525i engine three weeks ago, I clearly did not wet the computers. Now, about a week ago, my engine started to pop or backfire between 2000-3000 rpm, I assumed it was bad gas, so I add dry gas, injector cleaner, etc. now the start of the second week, same problem... a computer was hooked up to the engine,sparkpugs, coil, all components are working find, no sensor faults were found, after 3k rpm the engine runs fine...any suggestion on what to try ?

ryan roopnarine
08-10-2004, 06:45 PM
you might have water remaining in the spark plug wells, that's what mine did after i washed it and water got into the wells. it might have killed a coil by now, if it never dried out completely.

Popping and Backfiring

I foolishly wash down my '92 525i engine three weeks ago, I clearly did not wet the computers. Now, about a week ago, my engine started to pop or backfire between 2000-3000 rpm, I assumed it was bad gas, so I add dry gas, injector cleaner, etc. now the start of the second week, same problem... a computer was hooked up to the engine,sparkpugs, coil, all components are working find, no sensor faults were found, after 3k rpm the engine runs fine...any suggestion on what to try ?

Anton CH.
08-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Is it backfiring or missing?

pineman
08-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks...I don't know what else to try, we did check each plug, they were dry, I guess I will check in the wells...the problem of popping(backfiring) only occurs between 2-3 rpm, then it runs fines, Also, each coil was checked on the computer, they were fine.

you might have water remaining in the spark plug wells, that's what mine did after i washed it and water got into the wells. it might have killed a coil by now, if it never dried out completely.

pineman
08-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Backing , then it is missing between 2-3 rpm, then it runs fine...

Is it backfiring or missing?