PDA

View Full Version : Automatic shifter handle problem

Garlic Breath
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Greetings,
I was wondering if someone could help me out on how to repair the shifter handle. I can shift between the gears, I just don't like being able to put it into gear without the button.

The car is a 1995 525 automatic.

Couple pictures of the broken item
http://members.verizon.net/spam2/Car/shiftera.JPG

http://members.verizon.net/spam2/Car/shifterb.JPG

Thank you for your consideration.

George M
08-09-2004, 07:49 PM
If you look at the T-handle in its free state, the button is depressed flush with the bottom of the T-handle. This is incorrect and why your shifter rod will not pre-load the detented rooster comb comprising your shift gate. You may be able to take the T-handle apart and see if the internal spring has been dislodged or is broken. I sold a T-handle to a fellow E-32 owner who had this same thing happen as I upgraded to an E-38 pistol grip. The weight of the rod is insufficient to overcome the internal friction of the button mechanism. Driving the car without positive engagement is downright dangerous and could be disasterous for your trans if you were to inadvertently bump the shifter and select Reverse or Park while driving without any lock out.
Try taking the handle apart...if unsuccessful, replace it. Perhaps Rigmaster has one from a parted E-34.
HTH.

Garlic Breath
08-09-2004, 08:58 PM
If you look at the T-handle in its free state, the button is depressed flush with the bottom of the T-handle. This is incorrect and why your shifter rod will not pre-load the detented rooster comb comprising your shift gate. You may be able to take the T-handle apart and see if the internal spring has been dislodged or is broken.

So its just the internal spring up in the handle that's FUBAR'd? I was concerned that the end plastic piece was broken that drops down into the shifter tube/shaft. I will tear the handle apart at work tomorrow and get a closer look. Thank you for the info.

myles
08-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Can you let us know how you go getting the handle apart. I've tried but not been successful and a 94 525ia. The spring is missing from the one I've looked at.

Garlic Breath
08-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Can you let us know how you go getting the handle apart. I've tried but not been successful and a 94 525ia. The spring is missing from the one I've looked at.

I fixed it this morning and it took about 10 minutes. Most of the time spent was trying to find a spring that would fit.

What I did was remove the white plastic piece out of the handle. It took some wiggling but it came out. Then I took needle nose pliers and stuck it down the handle and pulled the pin out that lives in the black piece and holds the white plastic piece in place . After the pin is removed the black piece of the handle tilts out a little further. Enough to see the tit where the spring should sit. I was fortunate enough to have a spring collection here and was able to find one that would slip in between the black piece and the handle and maneuvered it into place and it was strong enough to apply positive pressure to the handle. I then reassembled and tested it. Works great.

myles
08-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Great stuff! I'll give that a go myself

uscharalph
03-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I fixed it this morning and it took about 10 minutes. Most of the time spent was trying to find a spring that would fit.

What I did was remove the white plastic piece out of the handle. It took some wiggling but it came out. Then I took needle nose pliers and stuck it down the handle and pulled the pin out that lives in the black piece and holds the white plastic piece in place . After the pin is removed the black piece of the handle tilts out a little further. Enough to see the tit where the spring should sit. I was fortunate enough to have a spring collection here and was able to find one that would slip in between the black piece and the handle and maneuvered it into place and it was strong enough to apply positive pressure to the handle. I then reassembled and tested it. Works great.
I just fixed the handle on my 1993. There wasn't a spring but s piece of rubber applying pressure to the button. The piece of rubber was pusshed all the way back and not applying any pressure. This is dangerous, as you can shift from drive into reverse. I realigned the rubber and the pressure is back on the button. I'll probably buy a backup handle on ebay or from someone here.

russiankid
03-14-2009, 04:53 PM
If you want to just replace the spring. My brother and I found that using the spring from a socket holder fits in perfectly and works great.
http://www.redhillsupply.com/ppp/images/KDT2530.jpg

Garlic Breath
03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Good find

Rus
03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I installed a socket holder spring in my shifter nearly 4 years ago. Its still working just fine. The procedure is pretty simple too. The hardest part is pulling out the metal pin that is pressed into the plastic button from inside the shifter. Once done, the button swings out, you change the spring and reinstall the pin. Long needle-nose pliers work very well for this.