PDA

View Full Version : anybody here install the tether mount on the deck....

tim s
08-09-2004, 02:31 PM
for child safty seats? i can see the 3 bolts under the deck. i just wanted to know if it was worth doing. did it make the child car seats any easier, tighter, or safer???
thanks
tim s.

billb
08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
for child safty seats? i can see the 3 bolts under the deck. i just wanted to know if it was worth doing. did it make the child car seats any easier, tighter, or safer???
thanks
tim s.

X-acto knife from above to cut to diameter of aluminum spacer ring. Install a few flatwashers to get the tether anchor height up a little to prevent from crushing the package tray completely. Assemble, tighten, apply cap, and you're done. Took me 7-8 minutes start-to-finish. Secured the Eddie Bauer/Costco seat we have a bit better than it would be without it. We've installed the seat in the right rear passenger (14-month old child), forward-facing. I feel the tether will help keep the seat there in case of collision. I do worry, however, about the little tot's neck muscles!...even when I'm driving and need to make a quick stop, I worry that it's too much for him to handle, as we all know how good bimmer brakes are!

Bill B.

Craig
08-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I do worry, however, about the little tot's neck muscles!...even when I'm driving and need to make a quick stop, I worry that it's too much for him to handle, as we all know how good bimmer brakes are!

Next we'll see some baby sized HANS devices on the market! :D

I worry about that too (though I don't have any kids), it doesn't seem as though their necks would be strong enough in the event you hit something.

tim s
08-09-2004, 04:54 PM
this is what we were told to do to limit neck strain.
thanks for the info.
what did you pay for the parts???
tim s.

rickm
08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=775 lists the parts. It's a cheap project, I think 12.00 for everything. I have my daughter's Bauer (front facing) partially mounted with them, it helps. One thing...try to fit carseats before you buy one. The Bauer we have is TIGHT in there. I mean it's a breeze to install...once you tighten the seatbelt it's not moving at all. The carseat tech who checked it out was impressed.

tim s
08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
i was just going to ask for the list. are those parts going to match my parchment interior color?
thanks
tim s.

rickm
08-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Hrmm...the only part that has a color would be the little caps that sit on top of the bolts...mine (I think) are silver, the tether part is black. BMA could give you the color options.

tim s
08-10-2004, 02:18 PM
do i need additional washers or anything?
thanks again
tim s.

rickm
08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Just one of each if memory serves me correctly. If you want to install 3 tether mounts, then purchase 3 of each. I install all 3 "just in case".

ktteoh
07-23-2006, 06:30 PM
can anyone tell me how this looks like in pictures - i'm interested to do this but this is all just words here :(