PDA

View Full Version : just bought: 1989 535i 5spd

kyleN20
08-09-2004, 02:06 PM
hi, i just bought a 89 535i with a 5spd for 4000 bucks, the guy had it up for 4400, so he came down a bit, its in great shape, black leather heated seats, was wondering if i paid a fair price, the previous owners were members of bmwcca, i belive the two owners ago this car belonged to the windy citys chapter preisident, just seeing if i got taken, or if i got a good deal
thanks
kyle

Scott H
08-09-2004, 02:13 PM
You'll find out more if the car holds up well for a couple years. Are you in/around Chicago? If so, there are a few of us who can take a quick look and let you know.

kyleN20
08-09-2004, 02:29 PM
You'll find out more if the car holds up well for a couple years. Are you in/around Chicago? If so, there are a few of us who can take a quick look and let you know.

no no, down around detroit now, its got 157k, before this i owned a e30, and this seemed like a approiate move up, and the price seemed legit, i just wasent sure

mholbrook
08-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Sounds ok to me. You should investigate each system to be sure everything is up to snuff. Start with the brakes and cooling.

Welcome aboard!

kyleN20
08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Sounds ok to me. You should investigate each system to be sure everything is up to snuff. Start with the brakes and cooling.

Welcome aboard!

brakes just went through, ac works, brand new pereille p6000, new 750 bushings, and arms, new drive line, always mobile one, in engine and transfer, come on someone tell me i got the deal of a lifetime, the guy i bought it off of seemed like the kinda guy you wanna get a car off of, took real good car of it, his other cars were immaculante also, anyone know anything about a scratchy radio?

Scott H
08-09-2004, 04:08 PM
the only reason I won't call it the deal of a lifetime is because:

1) these cars should be coming down in price anyway at that age/mileage
2) I haven't seen the car and do not know what rust lurks or what the paint looks like

I'm not trying to ruin your day, because from what you are telling us, it does sound like you found a great buy.....It's just too hard to call something the deal of a lifetime without seeing it :p

Have fun!

mikey535im
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Kyle,
possibly metalic window tint on rear window , the antenna is located amongst the rear defroster and metallic window tint may cause this.
Mike

Craig
08-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Sounds good to me. I paid $6000 for my 175,000 mile '91 (though for some reason prices here in the PacNW are outrageous).

$4400 would get you a nice E28 here, but not a nice E34.

zmuff
08-09-2004, 05:35 PM
It looks like you got a pretty fair deal to me. I paid more for mine but it had lots of mods, wheels, JC chip, fresh paint, oh... and it was a year and a half ago. Enjoy!

hlenoble
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I just bought a '90 535i 5spd, with 138K miles for $3500. The car has a new clutch, four new Michelin tires, new shocks, and new brake pads all around. The paint is very good and the interior is excellent.

I put a performance chip in (makes a significant difference) and I am going to replace the upper and lower control arms as I did recently with my (former) '89 535ia. What a difference that makes!

hi, i just bought a 89 535i with a 5spd for 4000 bucks, the guy had it up for 4400, so he came down a bit, its in great shape, black leather heated seats, was wondering if i paid a fair price, the previous owners were members of bmwcca, i belive the two owners ago this car belonged to the windy citys chapter preisident, just seeing if i got taken, or if i got a good deal
thanks
kyle