PDA

View Full Version : Rubber strips below radiator - where to install, exactly?

Adnan
08-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing the radiator on my '91 535i (manual) and found three rubber strips lying on the lower support. One is obvious because it was partially in place but the other two are confounding me.

These two are curved, almost like the fan shroud radius but I don't think they go there. Do they attach to the bottom of the radiator? They do have that typical slot that appears designed for slipping onto something.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Adnan

Bellicose Right Winger
08-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Those three rubber strips are meant to seal the gap between the radiator and the support in front of the radiator. They are suppose to direct air through the radiator core and prevent bypassing the core. They are curved due to heat and age...they should be straight. The two short ones are for the sides, the longer one is for the top IIRC. It's been a couple of years since I had to deal with this. I left mine the side ones out without any consequence I can detect.

Paul Shovestul

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing the radiator on my '91 535i (manual) and found three rubber strips lying on the lower support. One is obvious because it was partially in place but the other two are confounding me.

These two are curved, almost like the fan shroud radius but I don't think they go there. Do they attach to the bottom of the radiator? They do have that typical slot that appears designed for slipping onto something.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Adnan

Adnan
08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks, I figured that's where they probably belonged and when I found that the length was exactly right, I was confident about it.

So far so good, no coolant leaks and a pretty stable temp needle. The new radiator isn't black like the original and looks odd. Oh well.

Thanks!
Adnan