PDA

View Full Version : 525is coolant problem

Rowan
08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
I have a 1994 525is with the M50 engine but for some reason my coolant warning light keeps coming on. When i check the level of coolant it very low but once i release the valve at the top of the radiator to coolant fills back up but alot of air comes out of the valve this seems to happen every few days or so. Any ideas on what could be the problem.

Regards
Rowan

ryan roopnarine
08-07-2004, 07:58 PM
i had the same problem until my heater core decided to die. do you mean that a lot of bubbles comes out of the valve, or just plain air? i'm beginning to think that the system has the ability to self bleed it self to a degree, and any air you don't catch manifests itself as a lowered coolant level.

winfred
08-07-2004, 08:41 PM
when you open that valve you break the vacuum and the coolent runs out of the radiator into the tank, you probably have some small leak that's causing the level to drop

I have a 1994 525is with the M50 engine but for some reason my coolant warning light keeps coming on. When i check the level of coolant it very low but once i release the valve at the top of the radiator to coolant fills back up but alot of air comes out of the valve this seems to happen every few days or so. Any ideas on what could be the problem.

Regards
Rowan