PDA

View Full Version : shocks for rear window 525it

FD'93-525iT
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Can the shocks for the rear window be replaced without the special tool that BMW calls for in the service manual? It appears they have some type of ball joint at the end that is mostly inaccessible. thanks.

ScottyWM
08-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Yes, it's easier than it may seem. I've done it on both sides of my window. If you search the old archives, you may find an instruction. Oh wait, it looks like you're relatively new here. Still, try searching the old archives, and if you can't find it, let me know, I'm sure I've got the instruction at home somewhere.

Basically, instead of any special tool to get way back in there, I used a looong screwdriver, think it was 14".

I tell you, of all the repairs I've done myself on my car, this one had to be the most satisfying - I was so tired of that damn glass hitting me when you least expected it!!

Elekta
08-06-2004, 12:01 PM
A very long skinny screwdriver will work, or a weed fork. Some needle nose vise grips too. Basically with your thumb, fore and ring fingers you will try to get the cap of the shock to hang on the ball mount, and then you will slide the screwdriver in and lever the cap with pressure until it pops on there. A good head lamp is helpful too. Don't lose the little metal retaining clips (or get an extra pair at the stealer) because you can't finish it without them, and they can fall down the trim of the lift gate, and get lost pretty easily.

The first one will take you about 40 minutes, and the second one about ten. In actuality, you will have the cap of the shock on there perfectly about 4/5 times without knowing it, as it feels more like it's on wrong than right, and until you get over that feeling, you will pull it off and restab it again.

One of the more gratifying fixes for tourings as it pays off instantly. You'll never have to bonk your head on the fastener holding it up as you load ever again.

FD'93-525iT
08-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks! I found it in the old archives just as you mentioned.