PDA

View Full Version : electric problem holding up inspection

tjn
08-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Hello everyone! I just registered on this board and am in need of specific help and encouragment to continue on with my car. I own a 1990 5-speed 535i. I bought it off e-bay for pretty cheap (probably a mistake- with little or no records), but have been working on repairing it for the last three years to pass inspection and make it suitable (the entire coolant system has been replaced, down to the heater core as well as all the suspension components, brakes, and miscellaneuos interior cosmetics). Unfortuantely, I know very little about electrical issues, so when my car failed to pass inspection because the reverse lights didnt work, I searched the forum for advice on a quick fix. I still cannot find the problem, however, and am ready to take it in to a mechanic, despite reserves on handing it over to someone else to fix for big money. This is what I've tried so far:
Replaced the tranny reverse switch
replaced the reverse bulbs, fuses (and cleaned the fuse box out with electric cleaner)
Checked for broken of frayed wires in the trunk (they all are fine)
Cleaned out the wire section where it meets under the shifter.
To make matter worse- all the other lights in the trunk work fine (the license plate lights, trunk interior lights, etc.)
Can someone offer suggestions on what to do next?
Thanks so much!!
tjn

DanDombrowski
08-04-2004, 11:35 AM
While this isn't anything specific, here is what I can offer you.

Hopefully you have some kind of volt meter, or at the very least, a test light.
Get the wiring diagram from Bently and just work backwards step by step.

Use the test light in the socket for the reverse bulb. No light? Find the color wire in the wiring harness for the reverse lights and work back to the next connection, whatever it may be. No power? Continue backwards until you get to power (or the fuse box). A wiring diagram will help you to show you how many connections there are to check.

A repair shop isn't going to have a magic wand, there are no special tools for solving electrical problems like these. You CAN fix this, you just have to be systematic about it and check everything.

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone! I just registered on this board and am in need of specific help and encouragment to continue on with my car. I own a 1990 5-speed 535i. I bought it off e-bay for pretty cheap (probably a mistake- with little or no records), but have been working on repairing it for the last three years to pass inspection and make it suitable (the entire coolant system has been replaced, down to the heater core as well as all the suspension components, brakes, and miscellaneuos interior cosmetics). Unfortuantely, I know very little about electrical issues, so when my car failed to pass inspection because the reverse lights didnt work, I searched the forum for advice on a quick fix. I still cannot find the problem, however, and am ready to take it in to a mechanic, despite reserves on handing it over to someone else to fix for big money. This is what I've tried so far:
Replaced the tranny reverse switch
replaced the reverse bulbs, fuses (and cleaned the fuse box out with electric cleaner)
Checked for broken of frayed wires in the trunk (they all are fine)
Cleaned out the wire section where it meets under the shifter.
To make matter worse- all the other lights in the trunk work fine (the license plate lights, trunk interior lights, etc.)
Can someone offer suggestions on what to do next?
Thanks so much!!
tjn

ryan roopnarine
08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
does "tranny reverse switch" mean "gear selector switch"? that's what my problem was..l.cleaning fixed it.

George M
08-04-2004, 01:31 PM
no Ryan...completely different switch...your auto car versus tjn's 5 speed car. Follow Don's excellent advice...a very simple circuit to trouble shoot using Bentley and a MM or continuity light. Start right at the switch to see if not only the switch itself is functional...simple binary open or closed circuit...and work rearward. The switch may be fine...since you replaced it...but "out of adjustment" relative to the reverse trans position..my guess.