PDA

View Full Version : This is getting really silly!

GJPinAU
08-03-2004, 06:21 PM
This is the pleasant surprise I got on Saturday. The windscreen has cracked from top to bottom. O'Briens have told me it is a stress fracture.
The next screen will be the 5th since I've had the car (18 months), previous to this I have never had to replace a screen in any of my cars (lucky?). I don't know about you guys but I find that every car you have seems to have a problem that keeps occurring, Supra - alternator, M535 - front wheel camber, Mitsubishi SUV - crashing into other cars, and on...
Oh well, at least this one I can claim on my insurance.

632 Regal
08-03-2004, 06:39 PM
I would venture to guess that someone is installing these improperly
find another place to have one put in, maybe a dealer???

Phil M
08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
could the frame be bent slightly thats causing this "stress" ?

GJPinAU
08-03-2004, 09:31 PM
They have all been different causes for each (dropping wiper arm was the last time), but this one was a mystery as it just happened - bang and it was there. Also this time I have to replace the plastic moulding that surrrounds the screen (AU$655).

moots
08-04-2004, 12:00 AM
This is the pleasant surprise I got on Saturday. The windscreen has cracked from top to bottom. O'Briens have told me it is a stress fracture.
The next screen will be the 5th since I've had the car (18 months), previous to this I have never had to replace a screen in any of my cars (lucky?). I don't know about you guys but I find that every car you have seems to have a problem that keeps occurring, Supra - alternator, M535 - front wheel camber, Mitsubishi SUV - crashing into other cars, and on...

5 windscreens in the past 18 months?There really must be something not right.The e34 windscreen is fitted by offering the screen to the screen cut-out and secured by sealant located between the frame and glass.At the bottom of the screen cut out there is supposed to be 3 or maybe 4,i cannot remember,sort of a small plastic thingy for the glass to sit on to.It acts to position the glass where the glass bottom edge rests on to it.Rightfully no part of the windshield have any contact to the metal frame of the car.

GJPinAU
08-04-2004, 12:10 AM
5 windscreens in the past 18 months?There really must be something not right.The e34 windscreen is fitted by offering the screen to the screen cut-out and secured by sealant located between the frame and glass.At the bottom of the screen cut out there is supposed to be 3 or maybe 4,i cannot remember,sort of a small plastic thingy for the glass to sit on to.It acts to position the glass where the glass bottom edge rests on to it.Rightfully no part of the windshield have any contact to the metal frame of the car.
That's interesting, everyone I've spoken to has said the same thing - that the screen must be in contact with the metal for this to happen. How do we know if it has been installed correctly?

George M
08-04-2004, 07:25 AM
in addition to the above...find an OE windshield and not aftermarket for the best quality.

DanDombrowski
08-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Remember, the insurance company goes to the lowest bidder, Jim Bobs redneck glass and discount beanie babies shop or so. Make them pay the dealership for glass. The insurance company is not your friend, make them pay through the nose like you do, have it go to the local BMW place. Plus, you'll get a free car wash too :)

henryw525i
08-04-2004, 08:26 AM

I would get a genuine one then, Alto Artarmon did a really great job replacing mine. I am with BMW Insurance

1992 BMW 535i
08-04-2004, 09:07 AM
It's not just the windscreen, but the way that it is installed. The windscreen, believe it or not, is a major player in how stiff the body. A poorly installed unit can degrade structural rigidity and create safety issues.

GJPinAU
08-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Remember, the insurance company goes to the lowest bidder, Jim Bobs redneck glass and discount beanie babies shop or so. Make them pay the dealership for glass. The insurance company is not your friend, make them pay through the nose like you do, have it go to the local BMW place. Plus, you'll get a free car wash too :)
The wash is worth almost as much as the windscreen at the moment with the water restrictions we've had imposed upon us.
P.S. for the guys in Sydney northside - there is a car wash under the Mobil at Turramurra, $15 gets a full wash plus wheels done properly and tyre black.

GJPinAU
08-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I would get a genuine one then, Alto Artarmon did a really great job replacing mine. I am with BMW Insurance
Yep, and I'm insured with NRMA - they only deal with O'Briens, but seeing I have a good relationship with them now, they are trying to get OEM.