PDA

View Full Version : I've put maybe 15 miles on the 535 with the freshened head & ireland's 284 regrind.

Martin in Bellevue
08-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll have a dyno session in the next couple of weeks to address any actual gains.

The idle is very smooth & the motor is quiet & very eager. It does seem to have a bit more down low. The best part is coming off a week and a half of driving the x5; don't care for that thing. The new stock eccentrics worked fine with the 284. The cam is using the stock upper timing gear. It won't be replaced with the adjustable gear. I haven't broached 4,000 rpm's yet.

Phil, the machinist at Highland, in Renton, impressed with his dept of skill, knowledge, & tolerance for questions & observance at work.

Bill, thanks for your help with my numerous questions. The TIS I was using is a couple versious old, maybe explaining the Hylomar reference? The new head gasket did have 2 holes at the joint of front timing cover that got filled with Hylomar. The old gasket did not have the 2 holes.

bahnstormer
08-03-2004, 08:10 PM
sounds great, how many miles are u gonna do b4 u open it up? new bmw's say to go 1200miles below 4k rpm

Martin in Bellevue
08-03-2004, 08:29 PM
It should be ok then. I understand the reason to break in new motors is to protect the main bearings & lower end. I'm just dealing with a new cam & valve guides.

Craig
08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Phil is the man.

I'll start the guesses- 211rwhp. :D

George M
08-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Martin,
Congrats on the rebuild. Did you do any port and polish work to the head while off or is your motor stock except for MAF and cam? You replaced versus reamed your valve guides? Quite surprised as I believe BMW procedure is to ream worn guides and go with oversize valve stems versus incur risk of installing new guides. Risk is at many levels...getting interference correct which influences any structural compromise to the head due to insertion force, valve guide retention and ultimately guide bore geometry...mostly cylindricity due to afore mentioned and bore true position/alignment both concentric and perpendicular to valve seat centerline(s). Quite certain BMW machines valve guide bores after insertion to address above and insure best valve fit.

Maybe that cam is the ticket for stock replacement so look forward to hearing your observations after break in.

Martin in Bellevue
08-04-2004, 09:04 AM
I guess the head was heated up to aid inserting new guides? Another machinist mentioned the potential need for new guides, before I had this work done.

No porting was done, or paid for. $80 was spent of new guides. Somehow, Phil was able to keep the vin stamp on the head; it is still there, for the most part.

Martin in Bellevue
08-04-2004, 09:05 AM
when we can meet at carb connection.

I have a spare, unopened DME, with the stock chip, if you want to try it between runs.

Phil is the man.

I'll start the guesses- 211rwhp. :D

Hector
08-04-2004, 09:24 AM
you are talking about. Can you elaborate? Bill, can you?

Bill, thanks for your help with my numerous questions. The TIS I was using is a couple versious old, maybe explaining the Hylomar reference? The new head gasket did have 2 holes at the joint of front timing cover that got filled with Hylomar. The old gasket did not have the 2 holes.

Martin in Bellevue
08-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I ended up filling them with Hylomar, per a 2000 version of TIS. The stock head gasket did not have these holes. With the gasket on the block, the holes would be partially covered by either the head or the front timing cover. They would be completely covered by both.

Hector
08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
I ended up filling them with Hylomar, per a 2000 version of TIS. The stock head gasket did not have these holes. With the gasket on the block, the holes would be partially covered by either the head or the front timing cover. They would be completely covered by both.

George M
08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
what kind of gasket did you install Martin?...stock thickness?...Erling?

George M
08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Hey Martin...get out your MSPaint pencil and mark up my gasket. Hope you can't find the holes you filled in on yours. If so...DOH!

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/HeadgasketResize.jpg

Craig
08-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Let me know when you are going to the dyno.

Martin in Bellevue
08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Never versions of the TIS do not direct filling these holes with Hylomar. Bentley said nothing about these holes & Hylomar, so I started asking Bill questions.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/hg.jpg

Hey Martin...get out your MSPaint pencil and mark up my gasket. Hope you can't find the holes you filled in on yours. If so...DOH!

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/HeadgasketResize.jpg

Hector
08-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I believe the upper timing chain cover has 2 (not 4) bolts that screw from underneath from the top of the bottom timing chain cover.

George M
08-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Martin,
Agree, best effort may be to fill those holes since they are unused. Thats correct Hector...upper timing cover only bolts thru that gasket on the forward edge/two holes. Believe the gasket will work fine without filling the rearward two holes since that part of the gasket is about sealing low pressure timing chain lubrication and not combustion gases and/or water jackets as Martin mentioned.
Be sure to update us on how you like the cam in terms of driveability...low and mid range response in particular over and above peak nos. you glean from the dyno.