PDA

View Full Version : V-8 Water Pump Under Intake Tubes

callen
08-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Replaced waterpump now orings where metal tubes connect to back of block are leaking....anyone replace? Have to pull water pump and intake?

Callen 91 535i 94 530i 89 735il

callen
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
It is necessary to pull intake.......soooo if your going to pull waterpump might as well replace intake and associated gaskets..if not you may end up pulling the water pump twice...

Callen 91 535i 94 530i 89 735il

632 Regal
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
LOL...I emailed Winfred before i redid my waterpump a couple weeks back, he warned me about them tubes pulling out and messing up the O rings, I removed the pump *very* carefully watching and holding the tubes as stationary as I could to prevent what you had to do. At the time the bimmer was my only transportation too so I got real lucky.

callen
08-12-2004, 01:18 PM
yea you did.......tell you it felt like crap pulling intake and then the waterpump twice.....course did your Winfreds wisdom to cut alt. wire...saving me alot of time and frustration.......

now if you start loosing coolant...check bottom of bell housing...if it's wet....

632 Regal
08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Im almost embarrased to ask what you mean here.

course did your Winfreds wisdom to cut alt. wire...saving me alot of time and frustration......

winfred
08-12-2004, 08:20 PM
the small wire going to the alternator is not only a bitch to get to but you are rolling the dice on if you can loosen the nut without breaking the lug off of the back of the alternator (i only have about a 50% success rate and i like to think i know what i am doing), so kill two birds with one stone and chop the single wire that's going down by the front of the left valve cover and splice it back when done

Im almost embarrased to ask what you mean here.

Tiger
08-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Ahh... so that's where my leak is... I just couldn't find a leaking hose... thought it might be my heater core... Show me some pics...

winfred
08-12-2004, 08:32 PM
this is as close as i have at home, they fit into the pipe that's bolted to the back of the heads
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/v8%20pcv

Ahh... so that's where my leak is... I just couldn't find a leaking hose... thought it might be my heater core... Show me some pics...

632 Regal
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
uhhh...whats the purpose of cutting a wire that dont need to be cut? I'm missing the whole point here I think.

Tiger
08-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Dang! And where does those hoses go to? Winifred, I once tried to take that engine cover off... seems to snag onto the throttle cable... any other tips beside these 4 nuts?

winfred
08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
it's a royal bitch to get to and you may **** up the alternator once you get there

uhhh...whats the purpose of cutting a wire that dont need to be cut? I'm missing the whole point here I think.

winfred
08-12-2004, 11:06 PM
the pipes run from the water pump to that pipe on the back of the heads, the cover is only atached by the 4 nuts or on later m60s the 4 push button things, the cable comes right out of the slot

Dang! And where does those hoses go to? Winifred, I once tried to take that engine cover off... seems to snag onto the throttle cable... any other tips beside these 4 nuts?

Dash01
08-30-2004, 01:27 PM
the small wire going to the alternator is not only a bitch to get to but you are rolling the dice on if you can loosen the nut without breaking the lug off of the back of the alternator (i only have about a 50% success rate and i like to think i know what i am doing), so kill two birds with one stone and chop the single wire that's going down by the front of the left valve cover and splice it back when done

I recently rebuilt my alernator with new brushes, regulator, bearings, etc.. and it has been fine. However, yesterday the car died, due to discharged battery. Battery checks out OK after overnight on external charger.

During test of battery charge (with engine @ ~3,000 rpm), the alternator indicated no charge whatever, then nearly normal charge, then (on third check) no charge again.

During removal and re-installation of the alternator, the small wire got very kinked. In fact, on re-istallation of the alternator, it was necessary to pre-twist the small wire so that it would unwind during tightening of the nut. So, that wire has had lots of twisting.

Would a break in that small wire be consistent with an alternator sporadically charging, and/or (when it does charge the battery) being on the low side?

Otherwise, what would account for sporadic charging of an otherwise rebuilt alternator? :(

winfred
08-30-2004, 10:31 PM
possible dirty contact or maybe theres a problem with the small wire, i can't remember how that alternator reacts without the small wire, if it will self excite eventially or not, they usually have trouble regulating if they loose the small wire while running, without doing my own tests on it it's hard to say what's up

I recently rebuilt my alernator with new brushes, regulator, bearings, etc.. and it has been fine. However, yesterday the car died, due to discharged battery. Battery checks out OK after overnight on external charger.

During test of battery charge (with engine @ ~3,000 rpm), the alternator indicated no charge whatever, then nearly normal charge, then (on third check) no charge again.

During removal and re-installation of the alternator, the small wire got very kinked. In fact, on re-istallation of the alternator, it was necessary to pre-twist the small wire so that it would unwind during tightening of the nut. So, that wire has had lots of twisting.

Would a break in that small wire be consistent with an alternator sporadically charging, and/or (when it does charge the battery) being on the low side?

Otherwise, what would account for sporadic charging of an otherwise rebuilt alternator? :(