PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch wont work...

Predkid
08-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Gentelmen,

I have a 90 535ia that I have let my girlfriend drive for the past month ( yeah I know i'm stupid) and got the " something is wrong with the car " line. Well it turns out the ignition switch will not turn to the on or start positions, but will unlock the steering. Obviously something has let go in there and I need to know:

a) How do you get the lock mech. out of the holder.
b) Can these be fixed, and if so who does this kind of work
c) Is there any risk of shorting the airbag while working in the area around the ignition switch

I have taken the covers off and phoned BMA for pricing on a replacement, but they cannot get them and sent me to the stealer.

Any help would be appriciated and thanks in advance for advice

TJ
90 535ia
91000 km
Canada

Bill R.
08-03-2004, 09:25 AM
waiting a couple of minutes disconnect the orange connector under the steering column that goes to the air bag. Then you can mess with the switch. If you can turn the key enough here is the procedure to remove the switch assy.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ignition.jpg

Gentelmen,

I have a 90 535ia that I have let my girlfriend drive for the past month ( yeah I know i'm stupid) and got the " something is wrong with the car " line. Well it turns out the ignition switch will not turn to the on or start positions, but will unlock the steering. Obviously something has let go in there and I need to know:

a) How do you get the lock mech. out of the holder.
b) Can these be fixed, and if so who does this kind of work
c) Is there any risk of shorting the airbag while working in the area around the ignition switch

I have taken the covers off and phoned BMA for pricing on a replacement, but they cannot get them and sent me to the stealer.

Any help would be appriciated and thanks in advance for advice

TJ
90 535ia
91000 km
Canada