PDA

View Full Version : Grill Removal???

InfernoM3
08-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi I bought a shadow/blackout grill to replace my chrome kidney grill. I'm not sure how to remove the stock one w/out breaking it. Also do i need to remove throught the engine bay or can I remove from the front. Anyhelp would be great.

Mr Project
08-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Hmm... this is tough to explain with text, sorry:

I have removed it from the front with good success. There is 1 screw that must be removed from the header in the engine compartment, and then there are 4 clips in the center grill section (2 upper, 2 lower) and 2 outside clips (R and L) on the corners.

My method is usually to gently pry the outer corners out until they pop free of the outer clips, then work the top set of center clips, then release the lower set of center clips with a long screwdriver through the slats of the grill.

Gentle force is the key for all the clips. The plastic is breakable! I usually play some games with the hood: Open for access to the screw and upper clips, and 'popped' but not tilted up for the lower clips and removal.

InfernoM3
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's a pic of what I got. I think I know what clips u are talking about. So first I need to remove a screw from inside the hood?

Elekta
08-03-2004, 12:28 PM
what color is your car? I would interested to see before and after shots

Mr Project
08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, sorry, my instructions are for removing the whole grill assembly, not just the kidneys. I've never removed the kidneys from the grill assembly, so I'm not much help there.

InfernoM3
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
what color is your car? I would interested to see before and after shots
I have two e34's alpine white 525i and schwarz black 535iM. I'm working on customizing the 535iM. So far I got Euro corner/tails and bumper trim. Blackout all the trim and 17" t-stars. My ACS front bumper just came in yesterday. So i'm planning on putting that and my ACS mirrors, m5 sides in the next few months. I"ll have some pics as my project progresses.

Someone help me w/ the grill install??? So i can take some pics of the finished product.

Mr Project
08-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I would think if you pulled the whole grill off, like in my instructions, the method for kidney removal would be pretty obvious.....

Haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward, and it only takes 5 minutes to pull the whole grill.