PDA

View Full Version : Break Light Circut Message... But Break Lights Work

T. Martin
08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a 92 525i w/ 175,000 miles. About a year ago I tried to repair my break light circut only to have it catch on fire. The fire melted the wiring harness, so I had to go to radio shack to get some connectors to connect to the new circut. After installing the new circut the break light circut message the break lights worked again however the message remains on the dash. I thought that maybe a wire was not connected well, so a couple of months ago I climbed under and check the wiring again, they seem to be fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be, or how to get this error code to go away?

Thanks,
Tony

632 Regal
08-02-2004, 06:31 PM
brake light circut can go on for a bunch of stuff, wrong bulbs, moisture, too much resistance, bad lkm? I would guess something isnt getting a good connection that you worked on or you may have missed a lead somewhere.

T. Martin
08-02-2004, 06:34 PM
brake light circut can go on for a bunch of stuff, wrong bulbs, moisture, too much resistance, bad lkm? I would guess something isnt getting a good connection that you worked on or you may have missed a lead somewhere.
Is there an easy test I can run, or can you disable this message?

632 Regal
08-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Im not real sure on disabling the message, if you thing everything is OK than you might want to try disconnecting the battery negitive for a while, you will want to have your radio code ready for when you re-connect it.

rickm
08-02-2004, 06:38 PM
The switch itself could be faulty, I was getting random break light errors until I replaced it. Simple job, bmwe34.net has instructions.

Jr ///M5
08-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Mr. T Martin,

It can be a number of things as Jeff mentioned, but since your lights work, and you don't mention any shorts, the most likely culprit is the brake switch itself. Look underneath your dash where the brake pedal arm is located and you'll see the switch. Replace it and your message should go away.

Hope this helps,

Jr

T. Martin
08-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Im not real sure on disabling the message, if you thing everything is OK than you might want to try disconnecting the battery negitive for a while, you will want to have your radio code ready for when you re-connect it.

George M
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Echo Rick and Jr...most likely the switch...common issue.