PDA

View Full Version : 'Check engine' lamp on dash

karl1171
08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm currently doing some minor work on a '88 535. I'd love to keep it but its not in great condition and don't think i could live with the fuel bills - I live in rip off Britain!

I was replacing some bulbs in the instrument cluster and noticed the one on 'check engine' was missing. On replacing it, it flashes rapidly when the engine is running.

The car hasn't been run much over the last few months so is a bit rough, also the check control is giving a couple of messages (check coolant, brake linings).

Is there no bulb in because the car has the check control display(so doen't need this warning light), or is it indicating another fault and has been taken out to hide this?

632 Regal
08-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Yes, I believe some removet it in an effore to fool the buyer. You first must try to get the basics under control such as coolant, and brakes. Coolant could be in fact low or a bad sensor, same goes for the brakes, they have a little wear sensor on the pads that should be replaced anytime you replace the brakes, there like a couple bucks each US.

After that we can get into more aggressive fine tuning of your problems, post back as always!

myles
08-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Can't say for sure, but can say that every car that I have seen in Australia has no bulb in the Check Engine light socket. I have seen several E34s and a couple of E36s. I think that is the way that BMW Australia have the cars delivered. It might the same with BMW UK.

I have put the bulb in my E34 and E36 and my father in laws E34. They now operate normally and I have used the one in my E34 to diagnose faults.

HTH
Myles

aussie540i
08-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi, im in australia, my 93 540ia has the bulb in place, i have had her for 5 years but maybe the original owner put it in? im pretty sure my previous e34 had it as well but again maybe put in after. i am guessing but am fairly confident in saying it has been removed to hide faults...

best of luck steve
p.s. g'day myles, good to see another aussie in here (i guess there are others but im new....lol